Our Daily Bread: Riches of the Soul

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2013
      READ: Proverbs 30:1-9

      Give me neither poverty nor riches—feed me with the food allotted to me. —Proverbs 30:8

      With the hope of winning a record jackpot of $640 million, Americans spent
      an estimated $1.5 billion on tickets in a multistate lottery in early
      2012. The odds of winning were a staggering 1 in 176 million, but people stood in lines at grocery stores, gas stations, and cafes to buy a
      chance to become rich. Something inside us makes us think more money
      will solve our problems and improve our lives.
      A man identified in the Bible as Agur had a different perspective on
      riches when he asked God to grant him two requests before he died.
      First, he said, “Remove falsehood and lies far from me” (Prov. 30:8).
      Integrity is a key to living without anxiety. When we have nothing to
      hide, we have nothing to fear. Deceit enslaves; honesty liberates.
      Second, he said, “Give me neither poverty nor riches—feed me with the
      food allotted to me” (v.8). Contentment springs from trusting God as our supplier and gratefully accepting what He provides. Agur said of the
      Creator that He “established all the ends of the earth. . . . He is a
      shield to those who put their trust in Him” (vv.4-5).
      Integrity and contentment are riches of the soul that are available to all. Our
      Lord is pleased to give these treasures to everyone who asks. —David
      McCasland
      Contentment does not come from wealth—
      It’s not something you can buy;
      Contentment comes to give you peace
      When you depend on God’s supply. —Branon
      Discontentment makes us poor while contentment makes us rich!