Re: Need Answer for Mid day of great lent

  • dhinuus
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8 6:01 AM
      In the middle of the journey (exodus) of the people of Israel from Egypt to the Canaan (the promised land), the people were bitten by poisonous snakes for their sins. So the people went to Moses and said:

      ""We have sinned, for we have spoken against the Lord and against you; pray to the Lord that He take away the serpents from us." (Numbers 21:7)

      The LORD listened to the intercessions of Moses on behalf of the people and at the command of the LORD, "Moses made a bronze serpent, and put it on a pole; and so it was, if a serpent had bitten anyone, when he looked at the bronze serpent, he lived." (Numbers 21:9)

      "Lent" is our journey from our state of sin to a state of blessedness just like the journey of the people of Israel from Egypt to Canaan. So in the middle of Lent we exalt the Holy Cross and erect it in the middle of the Church.

      As the scripture tells us:
      "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3: 14-15)

      Moses lifted up the serpent so that those who are bitten by the snake might look at it and have life. Similarly we at the middle of our lenten journey, also lift up the cross so that those who are bitten by sin can look at it and gain eternal life by the cross.

      https://sites.google.com/site/syrianorthodox/home/greatlent/mid-lent

      Mathew G M
      0929