The Sound of the Spirit

  • Reji
    Message 1 of 13 , May 24, 2003
      The Sound of the Spirit

      Listen! Can You Hear It?

      Open your ears, and I shall speak to you. Give Me yourself, so that I
      may also give you Myself. (The Book of the Odes, 9: 1-2)

      His Sweet Voice Calling Out To Us

      "God so wishes us to return to Him that He keeps calling to us again
      and again to approach Him. It is due to His sweet holy Voice that
      our soul is lost in ecstasy and surrenders totally to His will".

      -- Saint Teresa of Avila

      Angelic Music That Astonishes All Who Hear It

      "....with sweet voice, with sweet and incessant voice and various
      singing, which it is impossible to describe, and which astonishes
      every mind, so wonderful and marvellous is the singing of those
      angels, and I was delighted listening to it". (2nd Enoch)

      The Song of the Angels

      I think that no soul may truly feel the angel's song or heavenly
      Sound, unless it is in perfect love, though not all that are in
      perfect love have felt it, but only the soul that is so purified in
      the fire of love that all earthly savor is burned out of it, and all
      obstacles between the soul and the cleanness of angels are broken and
      put away from it. Then truly may he sing a new song, and truly may he
      hear a blessed heavenly Sound, and angel's song, without deceit or
      feigning. Our Lord knows the soul that, for abundance of burning
      love, is worthy to hear angel's song.

      -- Walter Hilton, "The Song of Angels,"

      The Harp of the Spirit

      "As the wind glides through the harp and the strings speak,
      So the Spirit of the Lord speaks through my members, and I speak
      through His love". (The Book of the Odes, 6: 1-2)

      Hearing the Spirit

      I heard a noise like wind blowing in my ears
      and knew it for the Sound of the Holy Spirit
      which became like the voice of a dove.

      When the Lord spoke to me I lost all sense
      of time. I did not know if he was with me
      five or six hours or only one. It was so
      holy and full of grace that I felt as if
      I had been in heaven.

      -- Margery Kempe, The Mirror of Love, Morehouse Publishing
    • Koshy George
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
        Dear Aley John and others,

        Your concern on all the points raised seems to be very relevant.
        It is true that we are spending crores of rupees for cases. You
        have rightly pointed it too. But the problem with many persons
        is that they are only seeing one side of the coin.

        The Jacobites are a people who are defending for their existence.
        Some may think that since we are all Christians we must always take
        a policy to avoid issues even by giving up everything. Being a human
        being I can’t always agree with that. Take the case of Kunnamkulam
        Arthat Simhasana church. It was built by Saintly Sleeba Mar Osthathios
        Bava in a land donated to the Holy See by a group of people who found
        it difficult to carry on their daily Spiritual needs in their parent
        church. Bava’s silent prayers helped to construct a church there and
        he was buried here and for lakhs of people this is a Holy place. But
        after the farce unity of 1958, the opposite group started to create
        problems in that church by trying to bring it under the direct control
        of the Malankara Metropolitan who was also the Catholicos then.
        Former Catholicos Baselios Geevarghese II even dared to enter this
        Church inorder to take control of the Church and its properties. He
        was then accompanied by a strong police force against the kind request
        of the people who were members of that Church. The problems started
        at that time continues even now. At present while 1000 odd familes
        are Jacobites, there are only less than 13 who are siding with the
        opposite group. Moreoever there are 2 large Churches and 5 small
        capels for the opposite group very near to this Simhasana Church.
        (The main Church which is in total control of opposite group is
        just 1/2 a kilometer away from the Simhasana Church) While most
        of the opposite group have no objection in stopping the cases against
        the Jacobites it is the very who are in the leadership of opposite
        group who are continuing with the cases. While all including those
        in opposite group call the Church as ‘Bava’s Pally’ or Simhasana Church,
        the very few in methran faction call it Arthat ‘Puthen pally’ with the
        intention to mix it with the IOC churches. Malayala Manorama is the
        group which helps to propogate this usage by giving the name of the
        Church as Arthat ‘Puthen Pally’ in their Calendars published every year.

        I have expressed so much to point out the malefic intentions of the
        opposite group. Now they have filed another case in Supreme Court
        against even the Simhasana Churches claiming that there are no such
        Churches in Malankara. Every other persons knows that there are many
        Simhasana Churches like Majanikkara, Perumpally, Soonoro at Ekm.,
        Kottayam, Kunnamkulam, Malecurisu and many more. But those who conduct
        the cases for the opposite group can’t agree with this. They want to
        squeeze the Jacobites out of their churches. For that their Catholicose
        Mathews II is signing many cheques running to crores of rupess which he
        mentioned in his jubilee functions at Kottayam. (here he actually tried to
        get sympathy by saying so, but the common man understood who is the culprit)

        Like in the major case, the Simhasana churches are now forced to engage an
        advocate in SC to defend the case. This advocate may not be in par with
        Adv. Nariman of opposite group, but whatelse can we do with our limited
        resources. We can of course avoid defending, but what will then happen ?
        we will just loose all our Churches which our forefathers constructed.
        In many cases they have built churches after they have been thrown out
        of their parent churches. But now with the help of a very few parishioners,
        in most cases 4 or 5 in a Church of 1000 odd familes, the opposite group
        is creating problems and they are spending crores just to take control of
        the property of the poor Jacobites.

        My kind question to those who advice us to stop defending the cases in
        court is, Are there anyone who are ready to leave their home if one of
        their relatives make an unrealistic claim of the house. I don’t think
        anyone will simply give up their claim even if they loose their legal
        rights. They will continue to defend until their last. That is even by
        mortgaging all the other properties. The people, who create troubles,
        may sometimes seems to be successful with the help of crores of rupees,
        but this victory will not be the end of everything. It is just the
        beginning. Those who suffer the most will have the last say. I am
        confident in that. I believe that the God is always with those who
        suffers and not with those who spend crores of rupees.

        Koshy George
      • Abin George Kuriakose
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
          hello Aley John,
          i read ur letter, i am very much thanks towards u.because u
          taught me more to pray.u said more about commonsense, but one
          thing is to remember human being's commonsense can't overcome
          God's "commonsense".

          one think to remember don't mix faith with other like politics and
          other relations. holy father Yakoob 3rd only ordered don't
          participate in the sacraments(koodasakal) of any vedavipareethical
          not say about human, business and other relations. why u think
          like this?

          u understand the syrian fathers are not "mad" with church and not
          kill any one who aganist them but they only keep the holy faith
          and ready to die for that. to save their soul and others. no one
          make any pressure to change the only fact is If any one believe
          and he/she needs then they can enter into the church other wise
          not.

          u think i am "mad" with church. don't think like this. i am a
          faithful believer and do my duties towards church. i have many
          friends in different religions and different churches. i visited
          the houses of some of them also.did u read mar yeldho bava's
          history. bava wanted the nambootiri to direct him to a church. he
          helped bava.then what happened? he understood bava is a saint, by
          bava's activites.through that he believe bava and he said about
          his sisters pain and so and so.(not explain in detail.)
          here what is to understand ? a good follower's duty. through faith
          bava make him a believer.

          again u think i am shouting everybody who are aganist our
          church.??? , i am at piravom BPC college(our college)
          i have many friends there. also at the hostel we are from
          different religions. also from different churches.but any way i
          can't raised any question or anything about their or our church to
          them.

          but one thing i prayed to God morn and eve. some of our church
          members met me and discuss about our church and faith but others
          don't know about this discussions.

          one day an indian orthodox member came to room and shout this
          that so and so. at the begining i don't say any word. some of our
          church faithfuls try to protest. after his shouting i took the
          holy bible and wants him to read some portions. he reject then i ask 1
          question and said some important statements only. he can't able to
          answer and he left the room. u say who make problems?? who violate
          disipline and decency????

          i cut my class and attended the puthencruz meeting. after i
          reached college many of our faitfuls shouted at me why i didn't
          took permission from principal and took them also. i asked them if
          any one is interested he must participate his own risk. if it take
          as a college issue that may make problems in college.(rumers or
          some other) any way. after that some of the opposite faction
          members came and shout they will caught all parishes and never allow
          yours dead body to burry so and so. i only told u can't do any thing
          upon our church.

          whatever happens i am not ready to move from Holy ANTIOCH.
          also i told to them u follow ur faith and allow others to follow
          their way.

          u say my decision or their is correct?? who is making problem???

          after 9 pm. one of the fellow came into my room and said "i don't
          know what is the real history behind this problems??? please tell
          me what happened?" only at that time i opened my mouth to explain
          the faith to an oppossion member.(the time he wants to know) atlast
          he said their party is doing wrong. i think this is the commonsense
          not mine but God's activity.

          u say abt marriage and other needs commonsense. but if God's
          activites can destroy this plan(from commonsense)then what is the use.
          now i don't write in more detail. any way we can see the next.....

          another incident i was at rajagiri college at hostel we 2 guys
          from Jacobite and 1 from "indian church" and then hindus
          muslims and so. we have psycology classes and NLP classes there.
          so i can understand ur mind. but don't think ur way in faith is
          correct(commonsense).don't try to mix decisions from commonsense
          and faith.keep the faith is the commonsense here. we 2 discuss abt
          the church matters so and so. and we don't discuss it as a public
          matter. At that time our H.B thomas1 catholicose was ordained and
          reached here from ANTIOCH. the indian orhodox man is waiting for
          a word from us. but we didn't say anything to him. one day "indian
          church" man to our faithful told some thing about our catholicose.
          he replied if u are like this i did't allow this to continue.
          so we don't discuss the church matters. he left him. next day he
          met me. he told to me ur bava is this that so and so. i also replied
          if u continue i wouldn't allow. we have to live together in the same
          hostel. so he left me.

          we have 10 day NSS camp at koratty. at the 7 th day he called some
          of the girls of our church and told them something u are like this
          that so and so. some of my friends from RC informed me that fellow
          is brainwashing some Jacobite girls. when i heard this news i
          reached there. At that time he stopped his work. i simply asked
          what u are doing? he say oh talking. our girls told me all the
          things. i sat there and said if u are ready we can discuss. he
          say ok at that time our other faithful also reached. he told he wants
          to start. i asked u start, at that time i am teaching our girls abt
          the faith. he started the discussion with the "indian church" man
          and i taught our girls. after sometimes that "indian church"
          fellow has no words to talk. then i also entered into the dicussion.
          i raised some statements and asked 1 que only he has no word to
          answer. at that time all our girls, some of RC guys and girls laughed
          at him and they understood what is the matter of their church and their
          activities. the next day itself news abt brainwashing spread.

          u tell who is wrong??? we explain only the faith and no more.
          the next day some of the RC sisters met me and wanted to told
          them the real faith. and the problems in the church case?
          i explained. i also include now jacobite and RC joined by
          discussion b/t the patriarchs of these 2 churches.
          after this Jacobites got a good image there - a deciplined and
          desencent group and the other have a worst.

          where the commonsense??? only god's activities succeded.
          don't proud about your own commonsense. if god is willing we can
          see the next... it is a sure matter if not confess. god doesn't
          leave his bride

          -Holy church. Jesus Christ words are the faith of our church. lord
          built only one church that is on St. Peter. the all others are
          duplicates and not by Jesus Christ. these duplicates never exist.
          their aim is to redirect all from entering from the church of our
          LORD by making confusions. same dress, same prayers and so. they
          are the real anti-christ, anti-christians, anti-church, anti-profects.
          (kalla christu, kalla pravachakanmar).jesus said at the end kalla
          kristukalum kalla pravachkanmarum will come, and trying to make wrong.
          god reveals u the meaning.

          with prayers
          abin
        • Dr.GeorgeK John
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2003
            Dear Mr.Paul,
            thank you for correcting me. i wrote my feelings not
            as a schollar of the church. i am not even a noted
            member of the church. none in the parish where i
            attend the holy querbana knows me.
            what i mentioned was the commandments Jesus gave to
            us.
            1 love your God
            2 love your neibhour

            i just clubed them as it was concentrated on Love. as
            i understood the God He is Love.

            we have no Love but what we have is the negative
            expression of love.

            i hope it is clear to you. i donot want to make any
            contraversy on the subject. you may post a correct
            direction.

            i love all

            with love
            Dr.George, Dubai

            >Really? How do you know? Please show that to me that LOVE
            >is the only commandment. My understanding is that LOVE is
            >one of the commandments.

            paul
          • Marksadek
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 3, 2003
              Christ Is Risen! Truly He Is Risen!

              "[Christ] is baptized not as Himself requiring purification but as making my
              purification His own, that He may break the heads of the dragons on the water,
              that He may wash away sin and bury all the old Adam in water, that He may
              sanctify the Baptist, that He may fulfill the Law, that He may reveal the mystery
              of the Trinity, that He may become the type and example to us of baptism. But
              we, too, are baptized in the perfect baptism of our Lord, the baptism by
              water and the Spirit."

                              St. John of Damaskos.

              "Show Your marvelous lovingkindness by Your right hand, O You who save those
              who trust in You From those who rise up against them." Psalm 17:7

              Prayer Requests:

              Please remember Peter Demian in your prayers. Peter remains in critical
              condition following the tragedy that took the lives of 5 Coptic youth in California.

              Please remember in your prayers the 5 Coptic youth that have lost their lives
              in a car accident on their way to St. Anthony Monastery in California. Also,
              please remember those who were injured and the families in your prayers.

              Please remember me in your prayers.
              Esther - Intestinal problems
              Hakim Shahata - Critical condition in a coma at the hospital.
              Nick Sarris - Will be undergoing a serious and complicated surgery for cancer
              this Friday, May 2nd. Nick is scheduled to start chemotherapy and radiation
              treatments over the next 6 months.
              Fr. Augustine - Cancer in his leg and may need to have an amputation. God has
              allowed Father Augustine a successful operation without the need for
              amputation.
              Sue S. - Advanced Cancer
              Duff H.- Infection. He has recovered :)
              Mina Aziz - Cancer
              Helen P. - severe depression and diabetes.
              Pamela P. - chronic depression and financial difficulties.
              Caroline Kamal and her family - Caroline recently lost her father.
              Shafika Guirgis - kidney failure
              Mary Beth - Obesity & Diabetes
              Jean Dallin - Neurological back problems
              Therese - Emotional problems
              Ryan - Behavioral problems. Little Ryan is possibly going back into
              mainstream school.
              Reggie - Cancer
              Detra - Stress related health problems
              Walter Jr. - Cancer. Walter is doing well with the chemotherapy and radiation
              treatments.
              Walter Sr. - Depression.
              Denise I. - Breast Cancer.
              Barbara - Depression & legal & financial problems.
              Helen - Multiple health problems & depression.
              Please pray for Madeline who has metastatic breast cancer.
              Please pray for Cuba Plain who has cancer that is high up in the breast. She
              is a mother of 3, ages 15, 12, and 7.
              Please pray for Gabrielle Brewer who is pregnant with a potentially serious,
              life-threatening illness for the developing baby.
              Please remember Jessica in your prayers. Jessica is 15 years old suffering
              from brain cancer.
              Please remember Daniel who is 14 years old and has cancer in your prayers.
              Daniel is in a serious condition and is getting very weak. He is the only child
              to his parents. Because of your prayers, Daniel is responding well to his
              medication and is getting better both physically and psychologically. Please
              continue to pray for him and his family as they lost his mother unexpectedly.
              Please remember Suzanne Hanna in your prayers.
              Please remember Shwaki Ghobrial in your prayers.
              Please remember Zouhair Macktaby in your prayers. Zouhair is suffering from
              stomach cancer.
              Please remember Hanan Shawki in your prayers. Hanan has a brain tumor and she
              is a mother of two young Kids. Because of your prayers, Hanan is doing much
              better.
              Please remember Magdy Wadi in your prayers. Magdy has a brain tumor.
              Please remember John Rittel in your prayers. John has cancer of the lymph
              node and voice box.
              Please remember Ibtesam Hweamel in your prayers.
              Please remember our brother John in your prayers. John had a brain tumor
              removed recently. He is a young servant with 4 young kids. John is getting better.
              Please pray for Eugene Boulis, for completion of immigration procedures and
              securing a job.
              Please pray for the unemployed to find jobs.

              Please pray for the peace of the world.

            • Thomas P
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 3, 2003
                I am writing this so that every one in our Church,
                both Orthodox and Jacobites, read this and reject any
                teaching that is against the teaching of Patriarch St.
                Severus. Then, the immediate thing to do is to unite
                on the basis of this faith.

                "That a church is a confession of right faith no one
                who is reckoned among Christians and has understanding
                doubts, since the Lord plainly said in the Gospels to
                the divine Peter, the first of the apostles, when he
                made the confession, Thou art Christ, the Son of the
                living God, Thou art Cephas, and upon this rock will I
                build my church, and the gates of Sheol shall not
                prevail against it; and he called the firmness and
                fixity of such a confession a rock. And, as speech
                knows a right and sound opinion on faith as a church,
                so it also knows the believers who confess it as a
                church." [St. Severus, Letter to the Holy Convents of
                Virgins of Christ]

                In Orthodox church Peter along with Paul is honored
                are firsts among Apostles. Peter, as the elder among
                them and Paul, because of his hardwork for the Church.
                But the Church does not use this as an opportunity to
                bring local churches under single administration.
                Regarding administration, Apostolic Canons (Canon
                Slihe) mandates the unity of the church, the bishops
                in "each Nation" under one head bishop.

                Few things to notice from the words of St. Severus:

                - that "a Church is a confession of right faith"

                - that "He called the firmness and fixity of such a
                confession a rock"

                - that "as speech knows a right and sound opinion on
                faith as a Church, so it also knows the believers who
                confess it as a Church."

                In clear words St. Severus teaches that the "firmness
                and fixity of confession" is the Rock.

                Based on this, those who teach that the person of
                Peter is the Rock is teaching a wrong faith, a faith
                different from St. Severus.

                Pope Shenouda also explains that the faith of
                confession is the Rock upon which the Church is found.

                Thomas P
              • Aji Thomas David
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 4, 2003
                  Dear sister susan

                  Thanks for the new thread

                  Nisha Sharma had her 15 seconds of fame!
                  In India she can extend that to 15 years or even more.
                  As long as there are are arranged marriages dowry has to be
                  part of it.

                  In Muslim community they give money to the girl's family.

                  For Hindus and Christians who have arranged marriages, the dowry
                  system works like this:

                  For no dowry, one can find a bum for their daughter - he may even
                  live in the bride's house.

                  For one lakh rupees you can probably find a daily laborer
                  For 10 lakh rupees you can find a white collar employee.
                  For 25 lakh rupees you can find a professional.
                  For 1 crore rupees you can find an IAS officer - or more.
                  SO GET OVER WITH IT.

                  In Christ
                  Aji Thomas David