The Anatom y Of Praye r - Its Me aning And Purpose (P art 4 of 5 )‏

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2013
      'Pouring out one's heart before God is prayer.' That is the Davidic view expressed in Psalm 62:8. "Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." Though conceptually sublime, it is quite a NARROW view of prayer, applicable ONLY to a select few believers of high spiritual caliber. David himself was such a believer. Acts 13:22 testifies to it. "I have found in David, the son of Jesse, a man after My heart who will do all My will." Modern believers do not generally fit into that category. Their faith in God being skin-deep, they cannot be expected to POUR OUT THEIR HEART before God in prayer.

      All the same, there could be a FEW believers here and there, but NOT everywhere, who may pour out their heart before God the Father IN PRAYER through God the Son. They are able to do that, because they have the GRACE to see in God the Son, a 'FRIEND Who sticks closer than a brother'. Blessed indeed are they, as otherwise, it will be impossible for them to cultivate such intense intimacy with God the Son.

      'Pouring out the heart before God' is seen AT ITS VERY BEST in Hannah's self-effacing passionate prayer, at the door-post of the Temple of the LORD, briefly narrated in 1 Sam. 1:10-16. Her poignant words in reply to Eli the priest are fascinating: "I am a woman sorely troubled; I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have been POURING OUT MY SOUL BEFORE THE LORD. Do not regard your maidservant as a base woman, for all along I have been speaking out of my great anxiety and vexation." Blessed be her memory forever and ever.

      What singles out Hannah's touching prayer as 'out of the ordinary' is NOT her eloquence, but her burning conviction that in God is the answer to her medically incurable barrenness. Her trust in God has NO bounds. She is, therefore, not ashamed to weep bitterly before the LORD, Who graciously grants her plea in good time. The intensity of her faith is such that she pours out her heart before God with effortless ease.

      If it were possible to have personal ties of friendship with a State Governor, lukewarm believers wouldn't mind
      queuing up to wait for days and nights at a stretch before the Governor's mansion, with determination of purpose, to make their dream come true. It is the believers' scale of priorities that determines their personal preferences.

      Unless drawn by God the Father, no believer can ever turn to God the Son, in spiritual hunger and thirst, for being eternally blessed. [To be continued]

      Prayerfully,
      Nakkolackal V. L. Eapen.