Our Daily Bread: Refreshing Candor

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2013
      READ: John 4:7-26

      He who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, . . . this one will be blessed in what he does. —James 1:25

      Of the many things I love about my mom, chief among them may be her
      candor. Many times I have called to ask her opinion on a matter and she
      has consistently responded, “Don’t ask my opinion unless you want to
      hear it. I’m not going to try to figure out what you want to hear. I’ll
      tell you what I really think.”
      In a world where words are carefully parsed, her straightforwardness is
      refreshing. It is also one of the characteristics of a true friend. Real friends speak the truth to us in love—even if it isn’t what we want to
      hear. As the proverb says, “Faithful are the wounds of a friend” (Prov.
      27:6).
      This is one of the reasons Jesus is the greatest of friends. When He
      encountered the woman at the well (John 4:7-26), He refused to be pulled into a tug-of-war over secondary issues but instead drove to the
      deepest issues and needs of her heart. He challenged her about the
      character of the Father and lovingly spoke to her of her broken dreams
      and deep disappointments.
      As we walk with our Lord, may we allow Him to speak candidly to the true
      condition of our hearts through the Scriptures—that we might turn to Him and find His grace to help us in our times of need. —Bill Crowder
      Father, thank You for sending Your Son to be my Savior
      and the greatest of friends. Help me to learn from Him
      how loving honesty can make a difference in helping
      the hurting people around me.
      Jesus always tells us truth.