Our Daily Bread : A Good Man

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2013
      READ: Romans 3:10-18

      By grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God. —Ephesians 2:8

      “Jerry was a good man,” the pastor said at Jerald Stevens’ memorial service.
      “He loved his family. He was faithful to his wife. He served his country in the armed services. He was an excellent dad and grandfather. He was a great friend.”
      But then the pastor went on to tell the friends and family gathered that
      Jerry’s good life and good deeds were not enough to assure him a place
      in heaven. And that Jerry himself would have been the first to tell them that!
      Jerry believed these words from the Bible: “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Rom. 3:23) and “the wages of sin is death” (6:23).
      Jerry’s final and eternal destination in life’s journey was not
      determined by whether he lived a really good life but entirely by Jesus
      dying in his place to pay sin’s penalty. He believed that each of us
      must personally accept the free gift of God, which is “eternal life in
      Christ Jesus our Lord” (6:23).
      Jerry was a good man, but he could never be “good enough.” And neither can we. It is only by grace that we can be saved through faith. And that has
      absolutely nothing to do with our human efforts. “It is the gift of God” (Eph. 2:8).
      “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!” (2 Cor. 9:15). —Cindy Hess Kasper
      Christ’s work for my salvation is complete!
      No work of mine can add to what He’s done;
      I bow to worship at the Master’s feet,
      And honor God the Father’s only Son. —Hess
      We are not saved by good works, but by God’s work.

      Dr.Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Cheeranchira, Changanaserry,
      Kerala, Pin: 686 106  India
      Tel. +91 481 272 4353