The Anatomy Of Prayer - Its Meaning And Purpose (Part 2 of 5)

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2013
      'Praising' has its pivotal role in potent prayer. God delights in the faithful who habitually praise His holy name and dominion unceasingly. As a matter of fact, God 'inhabits' the praises of His people. Again, the praises of His devout devotees constitute the 'throne' on which He sits, reigns and rules. Psalm 22:3 (KJV) reads: "But Thou art holy, Thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel." The same verse is seen translated in the Revised Standard Version as follows: "Yet Thou art holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel." The praises of the faithful are always acceptable in His sight.

      The Psalmist has no hesitation in declaring unequivocally what his cherished mode of prayer is in Psalm 69:30-31. "I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify Him with thanksgiving. This will please the LORD more than an ox or a bull with horns and hoofs." The above format of prayer is worthy of blind emulation and constant MEDITATIVE repetition by ALL believers, regardless of denominational differences in the faith professed and practiced. "The name of God," in the verse is to be correctly understood as Jesus, the name of God the Son, that is ABOVE every other name. So also, the capitalized word, "LORD", is to be properly deemed as representing God the Father.

      The precious name, 'Jesus', has inherent immeasurable power. At the utterance of that holy name, Satan trembles and flees. Whatever that is asked for in that wondrous name IN FAITH is sure to be granted at His appointed time. The Son of God Himself attests to it in Jn. 14:13, 15:16 & 16:23. In corroboration thereof is Apostle Peter's telling testimony in Acts 3:16. "And His name, by faith in His name, has made this man (i.e. the man lame from birth) strong whom you see and know." Capping it all, in Phil. 2:9-11, is Apostle Paul's brilliant exposition of the power and majesty attributed to the name, Jesus, that is exalted above the heavens and the angelic hosts.

      Our habitually praising the name Jesus, pleases God the Father much more than our sacrificing an ox or a bull to please Him. Praising God the Son's name is the same as honoring God the Father Who sent the Son as a Sacrificial Lamb for our redemption and eternal life. For quite a while I have been saying, with profound awe and reverence, REPEATEDLY the following prayer, adapted from the Psalmist's model of above mention. "Risen Lord, I praise Thy name 'Jesus', that is above every other name, with a song; [Note: I address Satan to remind him that he will NEVER succeed in stealing the song of praise from my life.] I magnify my Lord and my God with thanksgiving along with the Most High Heavenly Father and the Holy Spirit, Who enables me to be steadfast in my adoration of Thee, O Lord. Amen." I feel having been richly blessed by this prayer. Sometimes I use its translation in Malayalam. The DESIRE and the OPPORTUNITY to pray, whenever and
      wherever I can, are the only blessings I yearn for from the Heavenly Father through His Blessed Son. Those two blessings will empower me to be obedient and faithful to my Lord and my Savior.

      When believers take refuge in the mighty name 'Jesus', they find themselves in a safe haven, far beyond the reach of Satan and his demon spirits. They rest in the Lord at peace with themselves and with their fellow-beings, and thus, become the 'Salt of the Earth'. [To be continued]

      Prayerfully,
      Nakkolackal V. L. Eapen