Our Daily Bread: Pack up Your Sorrow

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2013
      READ: Isaiah 53:1-6

      Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows. —Isaiah 53:4

      During the turbulent years of the 1960s, popular music in America was a
      strange mixture of protest and patriotism. Some songs lashed out against war, greed, and injustice in society, while others affirmed duty to
      country and traditional values. But “Pack Up Your Sorrows,” written by
      Richard Farina and Pauline Baez Marden, seemed to fit all of the
      categories with its focus on the quest for personal peace. The refrain
      said the following:
      Well, if somehow you could pack up your sorrows, / And give them all to me /
      You would lose them, I know how to use them, / Give them all to me.
      Perhaps everyone hoped that someone really could bring them peace.
      The good news is that there is Someone who can! Isaiah 53 is a prophetic
      picture of Israel’s promised Messiah. Christians see its fulfillment in
      the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. “Surely He has borne our
      griefs and carried our sorrows . . . . He was wounded for our
      transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for
      our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed” (vv.4-5).
      Jesus took our sins and sorrows on Himself so that we could be forgiven and
      have peace with God. Will you give Him your sorrows today? —David
      McCasland
      Never a burden that He does not carry;
      Never a sorrow that He does not share;
      Whether the days may be sunny or dreary,
      Jesus is always there. —Lillenas
      No sorrow is too heavy for our Savior to bear.