Re: The pronounciation of the name of the saint Aatheemos

  • dhinuus
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2013
      Dear V T John,

      I don't think the name Anthimus is of Semitic (Hebrew/Syriac) origin. It is a Greek name. So in the Syriac, it may have been written/pronounced as Aatheemos; but in Greek it is Ἄνθιμος (Ἄ = Alpha or A, ν = nu or n, θ = teta or th, ι = iota or i, μ = mu or m, o = omricon or o, and ς = sigma or s).

      The father that we commemorate in the 5th Thubden is Anthumus the Patriarch of Constantinople.

      http://orthodoxwiki.org/Anthimus_I_of_Constantinople

      He held on to same mia-physite Christology of Mor Severus of Antioch and Mor Dioscorus of Alexandria as opposed to the dia-physite Christology of Chalcedon and Leo of Rome.

      Mathew G M