Our Daily Bread: Our Grandpa Suncked Out

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2013
      READ: Psalm 16

      My heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; my flesh also will rest in hope. —Psalm 16:9

      My cousin Ken fought a courageous 4-year battle with cancer. In his final
      days, his wife, three children, and several grandchildren were in and
      out of his room, spending time with him and sharing special goodbyes.
      When everyone was out of the room for a moment, he slipped into
      eternity. After the family realized that he was gone, one young
      granddaughter sweetly remarked, “Grandpa snucked out.” One moment the
      Lord was with Ken here on earth; the next moment Ken’s spirit was with
      the Lord in heaven.
      Psalm 16 was a favorite psalm of Ken’s that he had requested to be read at
      his memorial service. He agreed with the psalmist David who said that
      there was no treasure more valuable than a personal relationship with
      God (vv.2,5). With the Lord as his refuge, David also knew that the
      grave does not rob believers of life. He said, “You will not leave my
      soul in Sheol [the grave]” (v.10). Neither Ken nor anyone else who knows Jesus as Savior will be abandoned in death.
      Because of Jesus’ own death and resurrection, we too will rise one day (Acts
      2:25-28; 1 Cor. 15:20-22). And we will find that “at [God’s] right hand
      are pleasures forevermore” (Ps. 16:11). —Anne Cetas
      “In the Beloved” accepted am I,
      Risen, ascended, and seated on high;
      Saved from all sin through His infinite grace,
      I am accorded in heaven a place. —Martin
      God is our treasure now, and being with Him in heaven will bring pleasures forever.