The pronounciation of the name of the saint Aatheemos

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2013
      Until recently the name Aatheemos existed in the history of the church and the d`yaptuco (thoob thein) No.5  in the text of thesmestho d`koorobo. Now the Holy See has assigned this name to one of our prelates. This name in Syriac is spelt with a noon (14th letter of Syriac Alphabet ) as the 2nd letter.of the name; the letter is silent as in aath (you) So it should not be pronounced Anthimos and the correct pronunciation is Aatheemos. In the face book site of our church the correct pronunciation is given. It is hoped the name in Malayalam as given in the 5th thoob thain  will be corrected so that the name anthimos is changed as Aatheemos.

      In this context I would like to know whether there any special meaning to the name Aatheemos

      V T John
      ID 3085
    • dhinuus
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2013
        Dear V T John,

        I don't think the name Anthimus is of Semitic (Hebrew/Syriac) origin. It is a Greek name. So in the Syriac, it may have been written/pronounced as Aatheemos; but in Greek it is Ἄνθιμος (Ἄ = Alpha or A, ν = nu or n, θ = teta or th, ι = iota or i, μ = mu or m, o = omricon or o, and ς = sigma or s).

        The father that we commemorate in the 5th Thubden is Anthumus the Patriarch of Constantinople.

        http://orthodoxwiki.org/Anthimus_I_of_Constantinople

        He held on to same mia-physite Christology of Mor Severus of Antioch and Mor Dioscorus of Alexandria as opposed to the dia-physite Christology of Chalcedon and Leo of Rome.

        Mathew G M