RE: If Jesus was God, why would He cry out ‘Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?

  • Sinu
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2013
      Dear Brother Shibu,

      Of course, none of us deny the human nature of Jesus Christ. We do believe in 100% human and 100% divine nature of Jesus Christ and it is not a question for any of us. During the suffering of Christ, He, of course cried out as any human would naturally do. No one questions that. Non-Christians also do believe in his 100% human nature. But they only believe in his human nature and not in his Divine nature, which, only we believe. They (Non Christians) take this passage (Mark 15:34) to show that Jesus was just an ordinary man. That is the point I am talking about. My article is to high light the importance of Psalms 22 in answering to their questions.

      The Syriac Orthodox prayers for Good Friday, include the reading from the Psalms 22 to highlight the important prophecies included in it regarding Jesus's Christ's suffering. Jesus Christ was also probably highlighting the prophesies in the Psalms 22 during his suffering. Look at the Sleeba Aradhana prayer after the first song. See also the morning prayer for Good Friday and many writings from early church fathers.

      Reply to your second comment: the entire purpose of crucifixion and passion of Jesus Christ was for us, or for the lost souls and thus Jesus probably would not cry for that, at the moment when he was trying to save us through his suffering and crucifixion!

      Regards,

      Sinu P. John, PhD
      Member ID: 076

      Hello Sinu,

      My Observation is as follows:

      Though Jesus Christ is LORD, He came in to the midst of us and lived with us a normal human being. He suffered all the pain in his flesh being crucified as a complete man. He embraced the sufferings and death as a human.

      Probably, Our LORD might have cried out for two reasons, (i) Because of his pain on his flesh (ii) Because of his creation and the lost souls.

      Let us honour our LORD and do our best not to make him cry again for us.. Amen.

      Rgds

      Shibu MATHEW
      Riyadh, Saudi Arabia