Our Daily Bread: Jars of Clay

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2013
      READ: 2 Corinthians 4:7-15

      We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. —2 Corinthians 4:7

      When you buy a nice piece of jewelry, it is often tucked into a setting of
      black- or dark-colored velvet. I think it’s designed that way so that
      your attention is immediately drawn to the beauty of the jewelry. If the packaging were highly decorated, it would compete with the beauty of
      the treasure.
      It reminds me of Paul’s comments about the ministry of Jesus through us,
      when he said, “We have this treasure in jars of clay” (2 Cor. 4:7 niv). It’s easy to forget that we are the packaging and His work is the
      treasure. So we adorn our jars of clay, taking credit for the things we
      do to serve Christ. We seek to bring glory to ourselves when we’ve
      forgiven someone, or shown mercy, or given generously. The problem is,
      when we start seeking affirmation and praise for good deeds, we compete
      with the brilliance of the treasure of God working through us.
      When we do things for Christ, it’s not about us but about His glory. The
      less obvious we are, the more brilliant He becomes. Which is why, Paul
      says, the treasure has been put in jars of clay so that God would be the one to be glorified. Besides, since when are jars of clay significant?
      It’s what’s inside that counts! —Joe Stowell
      Help us not to cloud God’s glory
      Nor with self His light to dim;
      May each thought to Christ be captive,
      Emptied to be filled with Him. —Anon.
      Let the brilliance of the treasure of Christ shine through you as you live for Him.