Our Daily Bread- The Power of Demonstration

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2013
      READ: 1 Corinthians 2:1-5

      The kingdom of God is not in word but in power. —1 Corinthians 4:20

      For 2 decades, ecologist Mike Hands has worked to help farmers in Central
      America adopt more effective methods of growing their crops. It’s
      difficult, however, for them to abandon their long tradition of “slash
      and burn” agriculture, even though they know it destroys the soil and
      pollutes the air.
      So instead of merely talking to them, Mike shows them a better way. In the documentary film Up in Smoke, he says: “It has to be demonstrated. You cannot preach it. You can’t
      describe it. People have got to be able to get their hands on it and see it.”
      Paul took a similar approach to sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. He wrote to the believers in Corinth, “My speech and my preaching were not with
      persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God” (1 Cor. 2:4-5). Later in his letter, Paul told them
      again, “The kingdom of God is not in word but in power” (4:20).
      As you live each day, ask God to help you accompany your words with
      actions. When we allow God to show Himself through us, it’s a powerful
      demonstration of His grace and love. —David McCasland
      Allow us, Lord, to demonstrate
      Our faith by what we do,
      So that the gospel can be seen
      By those who seek for You. —Sper