Malankara World Journal Issue 125 - Focus: Great Lent Week 2; Pope Benedict XVI

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14 3:32 PM
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 125 - Focus: Great Lent Week 2; Pope
      Benedict XVI - (Feb 14, 2013) is available online at:

      *TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 125*
      Focus: Great Lent Week 2; Pope Benedict XVI

      1. Foreword

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (Feb 17)

      The Second Sunday of Great Lent - Garbo/ Leper Sunday

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (Feb 17)

      Sermons for the Second Sunday of Great Lent - Garbo/ Leper Sunday
      http://www.malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermon-of-the-week_2nd-sunday-in-Lent.htm

      4. Reflection on Lent

      The object of our prayer-life is to empty ourselves and be filled with
      the Trinity. The first thing Jesus did when He became Man was to empty
      Himself. ...

      5. Today, We Begin A New Journey: Liturgically Speaking, Pope Benedict
      XVI's Last Word

      We begin our Lenten journey with trust and joy. May the invitation to
      conversion , to "return to God with all our heart", resonate strongly in
      us, accepting His grace that makes us new men and women, with the
      surprising news that is participating in the very life of Jesus. ...

      6. Jesus Touched Him (Based on Luke 5:12-16)

      "Jesus reached out and touched him!" Think for a moment about the power
      contained in that simple sentence. Jesus reached out and touched a man
      who was unclean. Think about Jesus reaching out and touching you. The
      Good News of the Gospel is that Jesus himself has pronounced us clean.
      That's the Good News even we believers find so hard to accept. Just
      about all of us are hard on ourselves. Sometimes those who speak with
      the most self-confidence hurt the most inside...

      7. Malankara World Great Lent Supplement

      Great Lent is the time for personal reflection, meditation,
      reconciliation, and prayer. Malankara World has a great resource that
      helps you accomplish that. We provide you daily reflections,
      meditations, prayer, bible readings etc. If you had been with us last
      year, you will find that this year's offering has expanded. Read the
      articles about how to practice lent. Then do the reading for the day
      specified. We will guide you week by week. You can find the resources here.

      Malankara World Great Lent Supplement
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Lent/Default.htm

      Week 2 of Great Lent
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Lent/Lent_week2.htm

      8. Charity Can Never be Separated from Faith

      Christian faith and an impulse to charity are "intimately linked" and
      can never be in conflict, Pope Benedict XVI writes in his Lenten Message
      for 2013. Faith, he writes, is a "personal adherence...to the revelation
      of God's gratuitous and 'passionate' love for us, fully revealed in
      Jesus Christ."

      The Christian response to God's love, the Pope says, "is always
      open-ended; love is never 'finished' or 'complete.'" Rather, Christians
      find that their encounter with a loving God "awakens their love" and
      stimulates their love for other people. The love of neighbor, the Pope
      says, is no longer "a commandment imposed, so to speak, from without,
      but a consequence deriving from their faith." ...

      9. Preparing for Lent: Nine Liturgical Gems from the Byzantine East

      Our brethren in the East call the period of Lent the "Great Fast," or
      alternatively, "Great Lent." It is the most important of the four
      fasting seasons in the Eastern churches, since it is the preparation for
      the feast of feasts, namely Pascha, or Easter. ..The particulars of the
      Great Fast are as ancient as they are fascinating. We will be focusing
      on some of the more general virtues of Lent extolled in the East. In
      particular, we will cover nine Byzantine liturgical gems of wisdom to
      gaze upon, as we prepare to enter into the spiritual arena of the Fast...

      10. Cardinal Bertone's Farewell Address to Pope Benedict XVI

      A few days ago, you said that as Christians we know that the future is
      ours, the future belongs to God, and that the tree of the Church grows
      ever anew. The Church is always renewed, always reborn. Serving the
      Church in the firm knowledge that it is not ours, but God's, that it is
      not we who build it but He; being able to say in truth: "We are useless
      servants. We have done no more than our duty " ...

      11. Resignation Shows Pope's Servant Nature

      Pope Benedict's decision to resign as Bishop of Rome shows how the
      papacy is an office not of power but of service, reflected author and
      professor Dr. Scott Hahn. "It seems to me this might be for him, the
      most humble and obedient act of service that he can render in his own
      conscience," Hahn said. ...

      12. The Reluctant Pope

      He entered the papacy humbly and now leaves it humbly. His resignation
      is a great loss for the Church and the world. He represented the unity
      of reason and faith at a moment when the world was fast losing both.
      Between the West's culture of abortion and the East's culture of jihad,
      he stood as the civilizational center for life. ...

      13. Family Special: Just Because ... (I Love You)

      This is a 'must read story.' Sometimes a short story illustrates a point
      better than pages of instruction on how to have the perfect marriage.
      This kind of love --- not flashy but forever; not commercial but
      committed --- is truly honoring to the Lord and to your spouse. ...

      14. About Malankara World

      ========================

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World
      Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew