Our Daily Bread- Second Best

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2013
      READ: Genesis 29:16-30

      While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. —Romans 5:8

      Leah must have laid awake all night thinking of the moment when her new
      husband would awaken. She knew that it was not her face he expected to
      see, but Rachel’s. Jacob had been a victim of deception, and when he
      realized that a “bait and switch” had occurred, he quickly made a new
      deal with Laban to claim the woman he had been promised (Gen. 29:25-27).
      Have you ever felt insignificant or second-best? Leah felt that way. It’s
      seen in the names she chose for her first three sons (vv.31-35). Reuben means “See, a Son”; Simeon means “Heard”; and Levi means “Attached.” Their names were all plays on words that indicated
      the lack of love she felt from Jacob. With each son’s birth, she
      desperately hoped she would move up in Jacob’s affections and earn his
      love. But slowly Leah’s attitude changed, and she named her fourth son Judah, which means “Praise” (v.35). Though she felt unloved by her husband, perhaps she now realized she was greatly loved by God.
      We can never “earn” God’s love, because it’s not dependent on what we do.
      In truth, the Bible tells us that “while we were still sinners, Christ
      died for us” (Rom. 5:8). In God’s eyes, we are worth the best that
      heaven could offer—the gift of His precious Son. —Cindy Hess Kasper
      Love sent the Savior to die in my stead.
      Why should He love me so?
      Meekly to Calvary’s cross He was led.
      Why should He love me so? —Harkness
      Nothing speaks more clearly of God’s love than the cross.