Our Daily Bread- Numbered Days

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2013
      READ: Psalm 90:7-17

      Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. —Psalm 90:12

      In the aftermath of a devastating tornado, a man stood outside what was
      left of his home. Scattered somewhere among the rubble inside were his
      wife’s jewelry and his own valuable collectibles. But the man had no
      intention of going inside the unstable house to search for them. “It’s
      not worth dying for,” he said.
      In times of crisis, our sense of what is truly important in life often comes into clearer focus.
      In Psalm 90, “A Prayer of Moses,” this man of God looks at life from
      beginning to end. In light of the brevity of life (vv.4-6) and the
      realization of God’s righteous anger (vv.7-11), Moses makes a plea to
      God for understanding: “Teach us to number our days and recognize how
      few they are; help us to spend them as we should” (v.12 tlb).
      Moses continues this psalm with an appeal to God’s love: “Have compassion on
      Your servants. Oh, satisfy us early with Your mercy” (vv.13-14). He
      concludes with a prayer for the future: “Let the beauty of the Lord our
      God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us” (v.17).
      Our numbered days and the brevity of life call us to embrace God’s eternal
      love and, like Moses, to focus on the most important things. —David
      McCasland
      What a God we have to worship!
      What a Son we have to praise!
      What a future lies before us—
      Everlasting, love-filled days! —Maynard
      Our numbered days point us to God’s eternal love.