Our Daily Bread- Greek Fire

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2013
      READ: James 3:1-12

      The tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our
      members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of
      nature; and it is set on fire by hell. —James 3:6

      Greek fire was a chemical solution that was used in ancient warfare by the
      Byzantine Empire against its enemies. According to one online source, it was developed around ad 672 and was used with devastating effect, especially in sea warfare because it
      could burn on water. What was Greek fire? Its actual chemical
      composition remains a mystery. It was such a valuable military weapon
      that the formula was kept an absolute secret—and was lost to the ravages of history. Today, researchers continue to try to replicate that
      ancient formula, but without success.
      One source of catastrophic destruction among believers in Christ, however,
      is not a mystery. James tells us that the source of ruin in our
      relationships is often a very different kind of fire. He wrote, “The
      tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our
      members that it defiles the whole body” (James 3:6). Those strong words
      remind us how damaging unguarded words can be to those around us.
      Instead of creating the kind of verbal “Greek fire” that can destroy
      relationships, families, and churches, let’s yield our tongue to the
      Holy Spirit’s control and allow our words to glorify the Lord. —Bill
      Crowder
      It seems, Father, that sometimes we are our own
      worst enemies. Forgive us for speaking destructively
      to fellow Christians, and teach us to use wise words
      that can encourage and build their walk with You.
      To bridle your tongue, give God the reins of your heart.