Our Daily Bread- Divine Diversions

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2013
      READ: Matthew 1:18-25

      And he called His name Jesus. —Matthew 1:25

      I tend to get stuck in my ways, so anything that diverts me from my
      routines and plans can be very annoying. Worse yet, life’s diversions
      are sometimes unsettling and painful. But God, who said, “My thoughts
      are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways” (Isa. 55:8), knows
      that He often needs to divert us in order to make more of our lives than we would have if we had stuck to our original plans.
      Think of Joseph. God diverted him to Egypt to prepare him to rescue God’s
      chosen people from starvation. Or of Moses, who was diverted from the
      luxurious lifestyle of Pharaoh’s house to meet God in the wilderness in
      preparation to lead God’s people toward the Promised Land. Or of Joseph
      and Mary to whom the angel announced the most significant diversion of
      all. Mary would be with child, and this child would be called “Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins” (Matt. 1:21). Joseph
      believed in the bigger purpose that God had for him, surrendered to the
      diversion, and obediently “called His name Jesus” (v.25). The rest is wonderful history!
      We can trust God’s greater plans as He does His far better work in the history of our lives. —Joe Stowell
      Lord, teach us to be willing to adjust our plans to
      conform to Yours. You have greater things in store for
      us than we could ever dream, so help us to patiently
      wait for You to work in the circumstances of our lives.
      Let God direct—or redirect—your steps.