Our Daily Bread- Stranded

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2013
      READ: Genesis 39:19-23

      The Lord was with Joseph and showed him mercy. —Genesis 39:21

      Traveling by bus from Memphis, Tennessee, to St. Louis, Missouri, typically takes about 6 hours—unless the bus driver leaves you stranded at a gas
      station. This happened to 45 passengers aboard a bus who waited 8 hours
      overnight for a replacement driver after the original driver abandoned
      them. They must have felt frustrated by the delay, anxious about the
      outcome, and impatient for rescue.
      Joseph probably shared those feelings when he landed in prison for a crime he
      didn’t commit (Gen. 39). Abandoned and forgotten by any human who might
      help him, he was stranded. Still, “the Lord was with Joseph and showed him mercy, and He gave him favor” (v.21).
      Eventually, the prison warden promoted Joseph to oversee fellow inmates, and whatever Joseph did, “the Lord made it prosper” (v.23). But despite God’s presence and blessing, Joseph remained incarcerated for years.
      You may be stranded in a hospital room, a jail cell, a country far from
      home, or your own inner prison. No matter where you are, or how long
      you’ve been there, God’s mercy and kindness can reach you. Because He is God Almighty (Ex. 6:3) and present everywhere (Jer. 23:23-24), He can
      protect, promote, and provide for you when it seems no one else can
      help. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
      Dear God, help us to remember
      Your presence and power even when
      we are not where we want to be in life. Remind us
      to reach for You when no one else can reach us.
      God is present—even when we feel He is absent.