Malankara World Journal Issue 124 - Focus: Great Lent - Week 1 - (Feb 7, 2013)

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2013
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 124 - Focus: Great Lent - Week 1 -
      (Feb 7, 2013) is available online at:

      Issue No: 124 Focus: Great Lent - Week 1

      1. Preface

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (Feb 10)

      First Sunday of Great Lent (Kothne Sunday)

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (Feb 10)

      Sermons for the First Sunday of Great Lent (Kothne Sunday)

      4. Featured: Great Lent - A Matter of Life and Death

      Lent - the forty-day journey toward the Resurrection of our Lord, has
      suffered much because of lack of attention. There is no doubt that we
      know a great deal about Lent, we have enough information to satisfy our
      inquisitive mind, but our spirit cries out for meaningful application of
      our faith. How can we do this? ...

      5. Jesus Changes Water into Wine

      If we read through the whole Gospel of John, we discover that Jesus
      spoke often about His "time" coming, and it becomes obvious that He was
      always referring to the time when He would die for the sins of the
      world. So when Jesus responded to Mary's statement about the lack of
      wine, He must have been thinking about people lacking, not wine, but
      something that wouldn't be provided until He died. It's possible that
      Jesus was referring to His own blood, which was symbolized by wine at
      the Last Supper. Or He may have been speaking about the Holy Spirit, who
      is sometimes symbolized by wine in the New Testament. ...

      6. What Did They See?

      What the spectators witnessed were men at work. What is it that is seen
      by the world? They see His servants doing what Christ has commanded them
      to do. What was it that they witnessed? They witnessed the obedience of
      His servants. They did not witness God creating something out of
      nothing. It was not that Christ gave a command for the water to become
      wine and then some miracle happened. ...

      7. Shubkono (Reconciliation) Service

      We begin our Lent by cleansing ourselves. Reconciliation Service
      (Shubkono) on Monday, February, 11 will precisely help us to do it. ...

      8. God's Invitation To Us

      Lent is a season of being invited by God in a deeply personal way. "Come
      back to me, with all of your heart," our Lord beckons. "We will," we
      respond, but we aren't quite ready yet, our hearts are not prepared. We
      want to squirm, evade, avoid. Our souls not yet perfect. We are not
      ready for God to love us. ...

      9. Beyond Giving Up Chocolate: Going Deeper in Lent

      Lent isn't simply about us "giving up" something. The real grace is when
      we recognize that Lent is a season in which God wants to give us
      something. God wants to help us transform our lives and make us free-er
      as people, not just free-er with God, but in the way we live our lives
      and love our families. ...

      10. Malankara World Great Lent Supplement

      Great Lent is the time for personal reflection, meditation,
      reconciliation, and prayer. Malankara World has a great resource that
      helps you accomplish that. We provide you daily reflections,
      meditations, prayer, bible readings etc. If you had been with us last
      year, you will find that this year's offering has expanded. Read the
      articles about how to practice lent. Then do the reading for the day
      specified. We will guide you week by week. You can find the resources here.

      Malankara World Great Lent Supplement

      Week 1 of Great Lent

      11. Health: A Timeless and Universal Health Principle

      This article aims to give you a big picture look at how interconnected
      all of your parts are. Really understanding this concept should immunize
      you against the temptation to dip into the ocean of transient miracle
      remedies on the market. To start, let's review the basic pathway of
      blood through your body. ...

      12. Recipe: Euphoric Potatoes

      13. 81st Dukhrono Feast of St. Ignatius Elias III Patriarch to be
      Commemorated in Chicago

      The program will be held on Saturday and Sunday (Feb 9-10, 2013).
      Detailed program:

      14. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World
      Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew