Our Daily Bread- Just Enough

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2013
      READ: Matthew 6:25-34

      Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. —Matthew 6:33

      I love writing for Our Daily Bread. I confess, however, that sometimes I whine to my friends about how
      difficult it is to communicate everything I would like to say in a short devotional. If only I could use more than 220 words.
      This year when I came to the book of Matthew in my Bible-reading schedule, I noticed something for the first time. As I was reading about the
      temptation of Christ (Matt. 4:1-11), I noticed how short it was. Matthew used fewer than 250 words to write his account of one of the most
      pivotal events in all of Scripture. Then I thought of other short yet
      powerful passages: the 23rd Psalm (117 words) and the Lord’s prayer in
      Matthew 6:9-13 (66 words).
      Clearly, I don’t need more words, I just need to use them well. This also
      applies to other areas of life—time, money, space. Scripture affirms
      that God meets the needs of those who seek His kingdom and His
      righteousness (Matt. 6:33). The psalmist David encourages us, “Those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing” (Ps. 34:10).
      If today you’re thinking, “I need just a little bit more” of something,
      consider instead the possibility that God has given you “just enough.”
      —Julie Ackerman Link
      I would be quiet, Lord, and rest content,
      By grace I would not pine or fret;
      With You to guide and care, my joy be this:
      Not one small need of mine will You forget! —Bosch
      He is rich who is satisfied with what he has.