Malankara World Journal Issue 123 - Theme: Ma'altho, The Song of Simeon - (Jan 31, 2013)

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2013
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 123 - Theme: Ma'altho, The Song of
      Simeon - (Jan 31, 2013) is available online at:

      Issue No: 123 Theme: The Song of Simeon

      1. Foreword

      I am amazed that all these people mentioned in these stories - Mary,
      Zechariah, Elizabeth, Joseph, Simeon and Hannah - are just ordinary
      people like you and me. They get transformed when they come in contact
      with Jesus and the Holy Spirit. God can take any ordinary person and
      transform him/her. God can make an ordinary person do extraordinary
      things. Today's bible story gives us another opportunity to remind you
      that it is not what you do for God that matters; it is what God can do
      through you that is significant. Like Mary, let us say "Yes" when God
      knocks at our door. We will be transformed too!

      2. Bible Readings for Ma'altho (Feb 2)

      3. Sermons for Ma'altho (Feb 2)

      4. Bible Readings for Aneede Sunday (Feb 3)

      5. Sermons for Aneede Sunday (Feb 3)

      6. Featured: Life After Death

      Recently there have been many questions raised about what happens to the
      soul when a person dies. The following sermon by St. John of San
      Francisco outlines the (Russian) Orthodox teaching. ...

      7. Simeon - In the Spirit

      Simeon, a Man of the Spirit: Luke tells us three times in this short
      passage that Simeon was a man who was attentive to the Holy Spirit. The
      "Holy Spirit was upon him" since "it had been revealed to him by the
      Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Messiah
      of the Lord." Simeon was in conversation with the Spirit and learned to
      listen to his holy inspirations. ...

      8. Baby Jesus Presented in the Temple - Luke 2:21-40

      When Jesus was just a newborn, He was like any other baby. He couldn't
      walk or talk, He cried when He wanted to be fed, and He dirtied His
      diapers regularly. Isn't it funny to think that God dirtied His diapers?
      More than making us chuckle, however, it should make us realize how much
      God must love us---He humbled Himself that much in order to save us from
      our sins. ...

      9. Meditation on Luke 2:22-35

      Think about the Presentation when you go to Holy Qurbono this weekend.
      As you see the priest consecrate the host, think about what he is doing
      - offering Jesus to the Father. Joseph and Mary offered Jesus as a
      helpless infant. But now he appears even more helpless, in the form of a
      mere wafer of bread. But like Mary and Joseph, we know how much power,
      love, and grace are contained in that small host: enough to cover the
      sins of the whole world! Enough to make every one of us children of God! ...

      10. The Canticles Of Christmas: The Song Of Simeon

      For Simeon and Anna, and for those who recognized in the middle of all
      the ordinary and predictable festivities of the past Christmas season,
      for ALL who recognized Jesus for what he really is, his coming will be
      like a divine unshakable foundation for their lives. ...

      11. Watching for Light

      Like those who first journeyed to set their eyes on the child born to
      die, we move through long nights, often finding ourselves out of place,
      in the dark, and straining to see more. The Christian story is a
      declaration that Jesus can transform this watching and waiting, our
      lives and our deaths, bringing light where death stings, where tears
      discourage, and darkness haunts. "I wait for the Lord," sang the
      psalmist, "my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the
      Lord, more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait
      for the morning." ...

      12. An Ol' Man Named Simeon....

      Simeon, a simple man who was saved by God in the promise of the coming
      King in Jesus Christ, being filled with God's Spirit -- no different
      that you or I in coming to faith we have been given [Ephesians 2],
      seeing Jesus as the living word of God [John 1], telling Mary His mother
      that Jesus was appointed for the fall and the rise of many in Israel...
      for He will be a sign to Israel that many will oppose, and that the
      sword that pierced Jesus own body and heart yet to come, will in kind --
      pierce each man's own heart as to whether His Spirit is within them ...

      13. Health: Important Cold and Flu Information

      Just because people around you are sick, you don't have to get sick,
      too. You can keep yourself healthy by practicing a little proactive
      prevention. And if you do catch a cold or flu, be mindful to help
      protect others. ...

      14. Recipe: Chicken Portobello

      This chicken and mushroom combo makes for a nice dinner entree,
      especially when served with some oven roasted herb potatoes. ...

      15. Family: When You Have to Say No to Your Spouse

      In our marriages we need mutual submission and respect, as the apostle
      Paul wrote (see Ephesians 5:21-33). But we also need personal courage to
      say no to one another when decency is twisted or when obedience to
      little things would deny obedience to God's greater ways. The story of
      Esther and Vashti illustrates this. ...

      16. Comments on MWJ Issue 122: Holy Priesthood

      17. Humor: Four Worms In Church

      18. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World
      Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew