Our Daily Bread- The Mark of Leadership

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2013
      READ: Mark 10:35-45

      Whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all. —Mark 10:44

      While visiting the campus of Purdue University on a frigid winter day, I came upon two young men chipping away thick ice on the sidewalk next to a
      fraternity house. Thinking they must be underclassmen who had been
      assigned the tough job by older fraternity brothers, I said, “They
      didn’t tell you about this when you joined, did they?” One looked up
      with a smile and said, “Well, we’re both upperclassmen. I’m the
      fraternity vice-president and my friend here is the president.” I
      thanked them for their hard work and went on my way having been reminded that serving others is the mark of a true leader.
      When two of Jesus’ disciples asked Him for positions of honor in His coming
      kingdom, the Lord gathered His twelve closest followers and told them,
      “Whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. And
      whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all” (Mark
      10:43-44). If there was any doubt about what Jesus meant, He reminded
      them that He had not come to be served but to serve others and to give
      His life to ransom them from the power of sin (v.45).
      The mark of true, godly leadership is not power and privilege, but humble
      service. God gives us strength to follow Jesus’ example and to lead His
      way. —David McCasland
      The paths of leadership are trod
      By those who humbly walk with God,
      Their gracious spirit holds a sway
      That makes you want to go their way. —D. DeHaan
      A qualified leader is one who has learned to serve.