Our Daily bread- Guest List

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2013
      READ: Luke 14:7-14

      When you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind. And you will be blessed. —Luke 14:13-14

      Qumran was a first-century Jewish community that had isolated itself from
      outside influences to prepare for the arrival of the Messiah. They took
      great care in devotional life, ceremonial washings, and strict adherence to rules of conduct. Surviving documents show that they would not allow the lame, the blind, or the crippled into their communities. This was
      based on their conviction that anyone with a physical “blemish” was
      ceremonially unclean. During their table fellowship, disabled people
      were never on their guest lists.
      Ironically, at that same time the Messiah of Israel was at work in the cities and
      villages of Judea and Galilee. Jesus proclaimed His Father’s kingdom,
      brought teaching and comfort, and worked mighty miracles. Strikingly, He proclaimed: “When you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the
      lame, the blind. And you will be blessed” (Luke 14:13-14).
      The contrast between Jesus’ words and the guest list of the Qumran
      “spiritual elite” is instructive to us. Often we like to fellowship with people who look, think, and act like us. But our Lord exhorts us to be
      like Him and open our doors to everyone. —Dennis Fisher
      The gospel must be shared with all,
      Not just with those like you and me;
      For God embraces everyone
      Who turns to Him to set them free. —Sper
      The inclusive gospel cannot be shared by an exclusive people. —George Sweeting