Our Daily Bread- Like Jesus

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2013
      READ: 1 John 2:5-11

      He who says he abides in [Jesus] ought himself also to walk just as He walked. —1 John 2:6

      During a children’s church service, the teacher talked about the first of the
      Ten Commandments: “You shall have no other gods before Me” (Ex. 20:3).
      She suggested some ways for the kids to keep this command. She said,
      “Nothing should come before God—not candy, not schoolwork, not video
      games.” She told them that putting God first meant that time with Him
      reading the Bible and praying should come before anything else.
      An older child in the group responded with a thought-provoking question.
      She asked if being a Christian was about keeping rules or if instead God wanted to be involved in all areas of our life.
      Sometimes we make the mistake of viewing the Bible as a list of rules. Certainly
      obeying God (John 14:21) and spending time with Him are important, but
      not because we need to be rule-keepers. Jesus and the Father had a
      loving relationship. When we have a relationship with God, we desire to
      spend time with Him and obey Him so we can become more like Jesus. John
      said, “He who says he abides in [Jesus] ought himself also to walk just
      as He walked” (1 John 2:6). He’s the example we can follow.
      When we want to understand how to love, or how to be humble, or how to have
      faith, or even how to set our priorities, we can look at Jesus and
      follow His heart. —Anne Cetas
      Lord, as I look ahead to another day, I give myself
      to be led by Your Spirit. Give discernment in
      priorities, but most of all a sensitive heart to live like
      Jesus did—filled with Your love and power. Amen.
      Jesus calls us to follow Him.