Our Daily Bread- Wholesome Words

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2013
      READ: Ephesians 4:25-32

      Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for
      necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. Ephesians 4:29

      A while back, an Emmy award-winning actress took a courageous stand and walked out in the middle of the Annual American Music Awards ceremony.

      Her reason? She grew increasingly upset and disappointed by what she
      described as an onslaught of lewd jokes and off-color remarks´┐Ż and raw
      and raunchy comments by presenters, performers, and hosts. She said the evening was an affront to anyone with a shred of dignity and
      self-respect.

      Unwholesome speech was a problem even in the apostle Paul's day. He reminded the Christians at Ephesus that they should put away vulgarity, lewdness, slander, and obscene talk from their lives (Eph. 5:4; Col. 3:8). These were expressions of their old lives (1 Cor. 6:9-11), and it was now out of place with their new identity in Christ. Instead, their lives were to be characterized by wholesome speech. Their good or wholesome words would give grace to the hearers (Eph. 4:29). The Holy Spirit would help guard their speech, convict of any filthy talk, and help them to use words to benefit others (John 16:7-13).

      We are called to reflect God with all we are, and that includes our words. May our mouths be filled with thanksgiving and words that benefit others. Marvin Williams

      Holy Spirit, we need Your help. Guard our hearts
      and minds today. Help us control our thoughts and
      words so that we might lift others up and show them
      who You are and what You've done in us. Amen.
      Wholesome words flow out of a life made new.