Malankara World Journal Special: Women in Church Issue 121

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2013
      The Malankara World Journal Special: Women in Church Issue 121 (Jan 21,
      2013) is available online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWJ_121_TOC.htm

      *Table of Contents Issue No: 121 Special: Women in Church*

      Foreword and Introduction

      1. Foreword and Dedication
      by Dr. Seena Mathew, Capt. Dr. Jacob Mathew, Jr., and Dr. Jacob Mathew

      2. Introduction
      by Dr. Jacob Mathew, Malankara World Board Member

      'The Role of Women in Syriac Orthodox Church' is a subject that is
      often misunderstood and misinterpreted. We read a portion of St. Paul's
      writing out of context and feel that it is how the church treats women.
      Is it true? ...

      Featured Article

      3. The Role of Women in The Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch
      by Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka-I Iwas, The Patriarch of the Antioch & All
      the East

      The Syriac Orthodox Church considers women equal to men in rights
      and duties. According to the Holy Scriptures, God created man in His
      image; "in the image of God created him; male and female He created
      them." Consequently, men and women are equal before God because God's
      ideal plan for marriage is one man for one woman and one woman for one
      man. ...

      Women In The Bible

      4. The Virtuous Wife - Hymn to a Good Wife

      Proverbs 31:10-31 is a poem written honoring as well as extolling
      the virtues of a virtuous wife. It is written in the form of an
      alphabetic acrostic in Hebrew. A good wife brings respect to her
      husband; she teaches values to her children so that they learn to
      respect their parents. She shows kindness to the poor as God commanded.
      She has control of her tongue. A must reading for both husband and wife.

      5. Great Women in The Bible

      There are over one hundred sixty women mentioned in the Bible.
      Although not all of their names were written down, their deeds were,
      thus showing us the part they, too, played in history. ...

      6. How Jesus Ministered To Women
      by Gregg Cantelmo

      Jesus came to serve. We see his service to women through talk,
      through teaching, through touch, and through thankful praise for their
      faith. As we all have a need to belong, feel worthy, and feel competent,
      we see that Jesus brings dignity, value, and worth to women and their
      roles of service as "daughters of God." ...

      7. The Biblical Portrait of Women
      by John MacArthur

      From cover to cover, the Bible exalts women. In fact, it often
      seems to go out of the way to pay homage to them, to ennoble their roles
      in society and family, to acknowledge the importance of their influence,
      and to exalt the virtues of women who were particularly godly examples. ...

      Women In The Orthodox Church

      8. The Role of Women in The Orthodox Church
      by Metropolitan Seraphim of Johannesburg and Pretoria

      Her first priority is to fulfill God's Divine Within her own
      family, her husband and her children. This then widens to the extended
      family: to her neighbor, to her parish community and then to the whole
      world. A Christian woman is today's society, whether she works outside
      the home or not, is instrumental in nurturing her children. ...

      9. Women in The Orthodox Church
      by Karissa Sorrell

      My friend and former Orthodox priest, Paul Finley, once told me,
      "The reason why gender equality is such an issue in Protestant churches
      is because they have taken Mary out of the picture." In a way, it's
      true: in the OC, Christ is the head of the church, but His Mother is
      right by his side. ...

      10. Women in The Orthodox Church
      Australian Orthodox Mission, Monash University

      The Orthodox faith teaches that as souls before God women and men
      stand equal. Women are not 'second class citizens' in the Kingdom of
      God. They can and should take an active role in the life of the Church;
      indeed the Church's life would be immeasurably impoverished without
      their contribution. ...

      Women in Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church

      Keynote: Women in the Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church
      11. Your Resilience Will Set You Free
      by Fr. Jerry Kurian Kodiattu, Malankara World Board Member

      One needs to look at the issue of women in the church seriously. It
      is not a question of being politically correct, legal, or experimental.
      It is rather a call for the church to do what is correct. Women have
      suffered and yet continue to be resilient. They continue to be part of
      the church despite all oppression. This article identifies a few issues
      about why women are treated like they are. ...

      12. Women as Covered and Confined
      by Christiane Zidek

      Having touched on several aspects of women's role in the church, a
      question arises: Why? Why do these different areas of church life remain
      unchanged? It is a question, which both men and women have to be asked. ...

      Featured Malankara Women

      13. Ammai - My Hero
      by Betcy Thotakat, PMP

      If you ask me who my most favorite unsung hero is, without any
      doubt I would say "ammai". To my Dad she was like his own mother who was
      his uncle's wife. She adopted her sister-in-law's son when the parents
      met with untimely death and she was just a new bride. She gave birth to
      two boys. But when someone asked her how many kids she had, without a
      second thought she used to say - three and never mentioned about the
      adoption. ...

      14. Mummy, a Lydia for Our Times
      by Melanie Jacob RD

      Like Lydia, Susan Jacob placed a very high importance to
      worshipping God. She knew that some things like prayer are taught by
      example more than words. The habit of prayer has to be passed on to you
      from your childhood. It should be part of your life. ...

      15. Inviting Nominations for The Malankara World Woman of The Year

      How to nominate

      The Christian Family Life

      16. Why Do We Need the Church?
      by Mother Magdalena, Orthodox Monastery of the Transfiguration

      The Church is not just an earthly institution that seeks to control
      us by rules and limit our worship to stale rites. It is a living,
      breathing being - literally the Body of Christ. This means that our life
      in Christ can only be lived within the life of the Church - His Body.
      All aspects of this life nurture and form and protect our spirit. The
      boundaries set by the Church are not there to restrict us but to give us
      freedom. ...

      17. Ten Things to Pray for Your Wife
      by Jonathan Parnell

      It is a beautiful thing when we become as invested in the
      sanctification of others as we are in our own. And the best place to
      start is with our spouses. So men, here are ten things to want from God
      (and ask from him) for your wife. ..

      18. The Honeymoon Life
      by Sharon Glasgow

      From that day on, I chose the honeymoon life. Not just dreaming of
      it but living it every day. I've set my heart to cherish the simple
      things, like making my husband's favorite foods and eating together by
      candlelight, going to bed at the same time, reading and praying
      together. Even mundane trips to the store together. ...

      19. The Husband of a Happy Wife
      by Dr. Stephen Felker

      Men, I have set before you the kind of love you are to have for
      your wives. We are to have agape love, a love that is unselfish, that
      meets needs. We are to love our wives like Christ loved the Church, with
      a sacrificial, purifying love. What an example! And we are to love our
      wives as our own bodies. That means that we will nourish and cherish our
      wives. We will have an unconditional commitment to keep our wives, as we
      keep the members of our own bodies. ...

      20. The Profile of a Godly Mother: The Example of Hannah
      by John MacArthur

      For better or worse, mothers are the makers of men; they are the
      architects of the next generation. That's why the goal of becoming a
      godly mother is the highest and most noble pursuit of womanhood. God has
      specially equipped women for that very purpose, and in Christ, women can
      experience profound satisfaction in that divinely ordained pursuit. They
      can be who God created them to be. ...

      21. Mothers Say 'Yes' to God
      by Sidney Callahan

      Giving and forgiving mother love is one of the most convincing
      indications we have of what God's unconditional love for us is like.
      Mothers are like Jesus Christ: they open a door to us which no one can
      close. ...

      22. Why Won't My Children Submit to Me and Respect Me?

      Children respect the mother the way the mother respects her
      husband. Want your children to respect your headship over them? Then
      respect your husband's headship over you!..

      23. My Mother, My Friend
      by Temple Bailey

      A mother shows through in every emotion - happiness, sadness, fear,
      jealousy, love, hate, anger, helplessness, excitement, joy, sorrow - and
      all the while hoping and praying you will only know the good feelings in
      life. ...

      Managing Career and Family

      24. Twenty Strategies for Busy Christian Women
      by Marianne Neifert, M.D., M.T.S., F.A.A.P.

      Identify what you value most in life, your highest ideals, and most
      burning desires. Keep your relationships paramount. Distinguish the
      "urgent" from the "important," and do something important every day. ...

      25. Leading a Low-Stress Life by Living Right
      By Robert Ringer

      You cannot control what others do or say, but you can control how
      you respond to it. This can make a huge difference in how you look at -
      and interact with - the world. And as a result, it can take you from
      stressed-out to chilled-out and feeling better about life. ...

      26. Myth: True Success Means Always Reaching for The Next Rung on The
      Corporate Ladder
      by Gregg Easterbrook

      The idea that women should always reach for that next rung is
      dangerously misleading. Some women feel that in today's era of
      liberation they are somehow letting down their gender if they decide to
      step down from high-ranking corporate positions. They feel enormous
      pressure to stay. ...

      27. Simple Tips for Mom: How Working Moms Can Make Guilt-Free Choices
      by W. Granville Brown

      As a professional life coach, I'm privileged to have some very
      successful career women as clients. I've discovered that many of them
      face challenges quite different than those encountered by men. For
      example, consider the deep feelings of guilt many working mothers
      experience. ...

      28. Celebration of The Ordinary
      by Sao Tunyi Kohima

      While it takes courage to achieve greatness, it takes more courage
      to find fulfillment in being ordinary. ...

      Current Issues

      29. At The Dawn of 2013
      by Sraman Mitra

      Life is messy. Change takes time. But it eventually does come.
      Civilization does move forward. Meanwhile, wonderful, inspiring events
      continue to happen. Nature offers itself quietly to those who pay
      attention. ...

      30. Death of India Rape Victim Stirs Anger, Promises of Action
      By Ross Colvin and Kevin Lim

      The attack has put gender issues centre stage in Indian politics.
      Issues such as rape, dowry-related deaths and female infanticide have
      rarely entered mainstream political discourse. ...

      31. I am Sorry Mom I Can't Fight Anymore

      Cry of a Rape Victim

      32. Making the Church Rape Free
      by Fr. Jerry Kurian Kodiattu

      What am I going to accomplish by lighting a candle in church
      against the violence and brutal rape and murder of the 23 year old
      woman? Nothing much I suppose. There are several women in my own church
      who in all probability are exposed to violence in different places and
      the church remains silent to this. ...

      33. Much Beyond Rape . . .
      by Jeevan Kuruvilla

      I believe that our learning starts at our homes where a daughter is
      as prized as the son. Our homes should be places where the husband will
      treat his wife with respect and kindness that the son would behave
      likewise with the women he meets in his life. Our daughters should not
      know what dowry means. ...

      34. Resources for Understanding and Managing Sexual Assault

      Here are some free resources to help you understand the epidemic of
      sexual assault and care for victims.

      General Interest

      35. Health: Superfoods for Women

      There are certain foods that aging boomer women (and men for that
      matter) should eat on a very regular basis (like every day) that
      literally pack the body's cells with powerful nutrients. Here are some
      of the superfoods that build health and happiness. ...

      36. Recipe: Scrambled Eggs with Variations
      by Roy Walford and Lisa Walford

      If you have been watching your cholesterol, you probably know about
      scrambled egg whites. You may not yet have tried scrambled tofu! The
      following recipes are a basic foundation for any number of vegetable
      combinations. ...

      37. Recipe: Lemon Yogurt Muffins

      If you like moist muffins, you will love this recipe.

      38. Skin Care Tips

      I thought you might like to tell your readers about the great
      beauty effects of olive oil. I use extra virgin olive oil to wash my
      face every night. ...

      39. A Year Free From Regret
      by Eric Sinoway

      Think about what you want people to say about you at your funeral;
      how you'd want them to describe all the facets of your life, who you
      were, and what you'd accomplished. Then turn that thinking into a
      concrete vision - a clear picture in your mind that draws together your
      most highly valued beliefs, desires, goals, and priorities into a
      holistic portrait of who you aspire to be. ...

      40. The Pie Lady
      by Sandra Abell

      She gave selflessly, with gratitude and appreciation, focusing on
      other people and how they would be positively affected by her actions.
      She shared her talents with the gift of love, generosity and fun. She
      carried the holiday spirit throughout the year. ...

      41. Gratitude Napkins
      by Linda McLean

      Frank barely noticed when things began to change, when the words of
      gratitude he jotted down on the napkin each morning began to sink into
      his thick, stubborn skull. The attitude of gratitude he had
      inadvertently adopted through the sheer routine of it, began to truly
      mean something. That was when Frank's life began to change...

      42. Humor

      Two Difficult Things To Achieve.

      43. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World
      Journal online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWJ_121_TOC.htm

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service