Our Daily Bread- There's Power

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2013
      READ: James 5:13-18

      The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. —James 5:16

      When my sister found out she had cancer, I asked my friends to pray. When
      she had surgery, we prayed that the surgeon would be able to remove all
      of the cancer and that she wouldn’t have to undergo chemotherapy or
      radiation. And God answered yes! When I reported the news, one friend
      remarked, “I’m so glad there’s power in prayer.” I responded, “I’m
      thankful that God answered with a yes this time.”
      James says that “the effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails
      much” (5:16). But does “effective” and “fervent” mean the harder we
      pray, or the more people we ask to pray, the more likely God is to
      answer with a yes? I’ve had enough “no” and “wait” answers to wonder
      about that.
      Prayer is powerful, but it’s such a mystery. We’re taught to have faith, to
      ask earnestly and boldly, to persevere, to be surrendered to His will.
      Yet God answers in His wisdom and His answers are best. I’m just
      thankful that God wants to hear our hearts and that no matter the
      answer, He is still good.
      I like Ole Hallesby’s words: “Prayer and helplessness are inseparable.
      Only those who are helpless can truly pray. . . . Your helplessness is
      your best prayer.” We can do helplessness quite well. —Anne Cetas
      Lord, I’ve been taught many things about prayer—be
      specific, be bold, be surrendered, be strong in faith,
      be persistent. Today I recognize my helplessness and
      Your power as I share my heart with You. Amen.
      Prayer is the child’s helpless cry to the Father’s attentive ear.