Re: Sabha Calendar - Mobile Application Widget

  • Paul ...
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2013
      I'm really amazed to see that nobody has replied to this.

      As a follower of Sabha Calendar (while @ home), I'm finding it tough to follow the same, as I travel a lot.  And, its not practically possible to carry a calendar.

      Therefore, I found that there is a need of such an application, which can be downloaded to Smart phones as an Application widget, thereby, we can view the same on a daily basis, along with reminders too - regular updation possible.

      May I have some inputs from you all please!

      Thanks,
      Paul
      ID #1047
    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
        Paul,

        You express surprise at the lack of a response to your email; however, I was hoping to understand how you can help create such an application.

        The algorithms are well-established; I presented this at the N. American Syriac Symposium | Syriac Computing Forum in 2003 at the Princeton Theological Seminary and the presentation is at http://sor.cua.edu/Calendar/index.html

        Simon Skaria (now at Microsoft) and I implemented the Java & XSLT code to generate the calendar and every year I publish the html (and rtf formats when I have time) on the SOR site.

        Since the calendar generator code exists, all we need is to port to any target platform and build the necessary UI. It can be a standalone on mobile devices or web based deployment on traditional web.

        Do you or others you know have the skills and time to do this? I can work with someone who is very motivated, skilled, and committed to see the project through; I am very averse to work with any one who is eager to begin but then drops out - which has happened too often in the past.

        The other option is to mobilize funding to engage a third party to do this. While this has a better chance of faster completion, I think we loose an opportunity to use our varied talents collectively and build a community that can do bigger and better things.

        PS: I encourage those who would like to collaborate on this and other such efforts to come together and use our collective talent for the benefit of our life in the Church. I have a group on yahoo for collaborating on such projects - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tarmitho/ - which languishes for lack of interest.

        Regards,
        Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
        Beth Mardutho: The Syriac Institute (http://www.bethmardutho.org/)
        Syriac Orthodox Resources (http://sor.cua.edu/)
        ID: 0202

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, "Paul ..." wrote:

        > I'm really amazed to see that nobody has replied to this.
        >
        > As a follower of Sabha Calendar (while @ home), I'm finding it tough to follow the same, as I travel a lot.  And, its not practically possible to carry a calendar.
        >
        > Therefore, I found that there is a need of such an application, which can be downloaded to Smart phones as an Application widget, thereby, we can view the same on a daily basis, along with reminders too - regular updation possible.
        >
        > May I have some inputs from you all please!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Paul
        > ID #1047

      • Zacharia Varghese
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013
          Dear Concerned Parties (for smartphone Syriac Orthodox material)

          Please contact me at frzach@... or Fr Zach Varghese on
          facebook as I just met last Sunday with interested parties in creating and underwriting a conceptually similar, but wider scope, app project.
          Specifically we are in need of a graphic designer and are committed to
          delivering a prototype within 45 days or so. We hope to have a finished
          product by Christmastime.

          Fr. Zach Varghese
          Member 903
        • Paul...
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 24, 2013
            Dear Dr.Thomas,

            Well, my expression; a bit sarcastic!

            However, I am happy that, by the grace of Almighty, it has hit the right folks, like you.

            I'm a Retail Marketing professional, hence, have a vague knowledge about the technical aspects involved, in developing the same.

            However, I happened to meet a gentleman, again one of us, who does similar projects, based out of Cochin.

            Kindly let me know, in which all ways can I be of some help, to come up with a real good product.

            In Peace,
            Paul
            id#1047
          • George C Kuriakose
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2014
              Dear Paul / Fr Zach Varghese / Thomas and all members of SOCM

              Your mails below was the initial inspiration to try the Sabha Calendar as an Android Application. It is a pleasure to revert back that we have been able to develop the same in a small manner at this point of time

              The salient features of the Android Application is:

              1) Calendar selection based on the criteria - Great Feasts, Episodes, Saints & Holy Fathers

              2) Description on the importance of the day.

              3) Gospel and Epistle readings for the day.

              This application can be downloaded on your android phones / tablets from the following link: http://tinyurl.com/qbjc4ms

              We would also be happy if you could like our facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/OrthodoxLiturgicalCalendar

              Request that this message and the attached document be shared with members of your church (especially the youth), your friends and relatives.

              Will also be happy to receive your valuable suggestions and feedback on the Android Application.

              Regards
              George C Kuriakose
              +91-97408-24900

            • zvarghese@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 29, 2014

                Thanks George!

                I have already spread the message.

                Actually I wish that you had consulted us before hand. In December time frame we are releasing an enhanced version for iOS/android partially sponsored by the Archdiocese here with these features and many more.

                What you've put in place is really very good and helpful. May God bless you! Let us know if you may share some of the database files with the lectionary, saints days, etc.

                Zach Achan

                VP, MGSOSA