Re: Humility is a virtue

  • mathew
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2013
      Dear All,

      I didn't think twice to subscribe to the view expressed by Ms. Leena.
      Bishops are reflection of us or community or society. By becoming a bishop one does not separated from his society. So bishop is exactly what his community is. Though his call is to be different and role model, but be mindful bishop too is one among us.

      Change in attire may not change the person in bishop, who was moulded by the community to a good extent.

      Thanks and God Bless Us All.
      Mathew Chacko
      2382

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, "Leena" wrote:

      > My humble thoughts about this subject
      > GOOD POINT. HUMILITY AND A SIMPLE MONASTIC LIFE IS DEFINITELY APPRECIATED BY
      > ALL.
      >
      > HOWEVER, THE PLEASURES OF WORLDLY LIFE ARE TEMPTING MONASTICS & PRIESTS NOT JUST
      > US LAITY. HUMILITY IN EMAILS IS JUST A SMALL PART.
      >
      > A FEW EXAMPLES WHERE WASTEFUL EXPENDITURE COULD BE LIMITED AND THE FUNDS
      > CHANNELED TO BETTER USE:

    • dhinuus
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
        It also has to do with our practice of ordaining priests. H.H Peter IV had clearly said; we should not ordain un-married men who are not monks as priest. In other words before a person is ordained a priest; he should do one or the other:

        1) Join a Dayara (monastery) and be tonsured a monk
        2) Get married

        However we have a third category of priests in Malankara. We have unmarried priests who are not affiliated to any monastery and is not living as a monk. Then when that person is elected as a Bishop we quickly tonsure them as a monk and then ordain them a Bishop.

        So the reality is that those Bishops have never spent any time as a monk; and you cannot expect them to all of a sudden start living as monks.

        There is a reason why we have a tradition of selecting Bishops from among monks. But when we bypass that by selecting unmarried priests who are NOT monks and make them monks for a week and then ordain them a Bishop and expect them to act like monks; its not going to happen.

        So let's pray and act for a strong monastery (Dayro) movement and for more monks like Father Phinephas Ramban of Malekkurishu Dayra; and for men like those to be elevated to be Bishops.

        Mathew G M