Malankara World Journal Issue 119 - Theme: John The Baptist

  • Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2013
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 119 - Theme: John The Baptist - (Jan
      10, 2013) is available online at:

      *Table of Contents Issue No: 119 - Theme: John The Baptist*

      1. Editor's Note

      What we learn from the martyrdom of John the Baptist and St. Stephen.

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (Jan 13)

      First Sunday after Denho

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (Jan 13)

      Sermons for the First Sunday After Denho

      4. Featured: On the Martyrdom of St. John the Baptist

      The Baptist does not limit himself to preaching repentance and
      conversion; rather, in recognizing Jesus as "the Lamb of God" who
      has come to take away the sins of the world (John 1:29), he has the
      deep humility to point to Jesus as the One truly sent by God, and he
      steps aside so that Christ might increase, be heard and followed. ...

      5. On the Martyrdom of John the Baptist

      As forerunner of our Lord's birth, preaching and death, the blessed
      John showed in his struggle a goodness worthy of the sight of
      heaven. In the words of Scripture: Though in the sight of men he
      suffered torments, his hope is full of immortality. ...

      6. Ministry of John the Baptist

      Repentance (preached by John the Baptist) appears to be about being
      socially responsible. Real repentance is prophetic in that it is
      focused on very tangible actions of mercy and loving-kindness. It is
      about caring for all with whom we interact to the point of
      self-sacrifice. To love others so much in our actions that it could
      actually deprive us so far as our wants and desires are concerned. ...

      7. John the Baptist and Jesus

      As often as we need to look at John, we find fearsome John pointing
      away from himself to Jesus, the Word Incarnate, the lamb of God and
      the Saviour of the world; someone no less rigorous than John to be
      sure, but also so much more than John -- someone so very winsome,
      compelling, inviting as to be beautiful. ..

      8. Someone to Lean On

      This story challenged me to change my position from a bystander to
      that of a gap-stander. A bystander is an onlooker who watches, but
      does not to get involved. A gap-stander has empathy and takes
      action, using the strength of her faith to help the fighter stand
      until victory comes. A gap-stander is someone the one in battle can
      lean on. ...

      9. Family: Recovering God's Plan for Marriage and Family

      Here is God's basic teaching on family and marriage. Here is the
      basic structure for the family, as God sets it forth: a man who
      loves his wife, a woman, who loves her husband. And in this stable,
      lasting, and faithful union of mutual support and love, they
      conceive and raise their children in the holy fear of the Lord. ...

      10. Malankara World Journal Special on Women - January 21, 2013

      We invite contributions from the readers for the Malankara World
      Journal Special on Women to be released on January 20, 2013. ...

      11. Health: Declining Circumcision Rates Will Raise Health-care Costs by

      In a study published in the Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent
      Medicine, a team of economists and epidemiologists estimated that
      every circumcision not performed would lead to significant increases
      in lifetime medical expenses to treat sexually transmitted diseases
      and related cancers. ...

      12. Recipe: Pumpkin Cheesecake

      A family favorite.

      13. Going the Extra Mile Pays

      Today many people are talking about what they get for nothing. With
      the total emphasis on getting, there is little emphasis on giving.
      Let's reverse the order and ask ourselves what we give instead of
      what we get! ...

      14. Humor: When Insults Had Class

      From an era before the English language got boiled down to 4-letter

      15. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World
      Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew