Our Daily Bread- Spiritual Sight

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2013
      READ: Ephesians 1:15-21

      In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace. —Ephesians 1:7

      A prisoner who survived 14 years in a Cuban jail told how he kept his
      spirits up and his hope alive: “I had no window in my cell, and so I
      mentally constructed one on the door. I ‘saw’ in my mind a beautiful
      scene from the mountains, with water tumbling down a ravine over rocks.
      It became so real to me that I would visualize it without effort every
      time I looked at the cell door.”
      Ironically, some of the most hopeful books of the Bible—Philippians, Colossians,
      and Ephesians—come out of Paul’s house arrest in Rome. The letter to the Ephesians gives a hint as to what the apostle Paul saw when he thought
      about life beyond his place of confinement.
      First he saw the spiritual growth in the churches he left behind. This book
      opens with a burst of thanksgiving for the vitality of the Ephesian
      church (Eph. 1:15-16). Then he sought to open the eyes of their hearts
      to even more exalted sights: the “exceeding riches” of God’s grace
      (2:7). When Paul cranks up the volume to express God’s plan of love, not one low, mournful note sneaks in.
      If you feel discouraged or question whether the Christian life is worth
      it, Ephesians proves to be a great tonic. It prescribes the riches in
      Christ available to all. —Philip Yancey
      Heavenly Father, thank You for the staggering
      good news of the riches of Your infinite grace.
      Thank You for the encouragement and hope
      we find in Ephesians. Amen.
      No one is hopeless whose hope is in God and His Word.