Our Daily Bread-Time out

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2013
      READ: Acts 11:19-26; 13:1-3

      Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away. —Acts 13:3

      El Bulli restaurant, 2 hours north of Barcelona, is so popular that
      customers must reserve a table 6 months in advance. But noted Spanish
      chef Ferran Adrià decided to close the doors of his award-winning
      restaurant for 2 years so he and his staff could have time to think,
      plan, and innovate. Adrià told Hemispheres Magazine, “If we are winning all the prizes, why change? Working 15 hours a day leaves us
      very little time to create.” In the midst of great success, they took
      time out for what is most important to them.
      The first-century church in Antioch experienced a time of exciting growth
      when “a great number believed and turned to the Lord” (Acts 11:21). As a result, Barnabas and Saul came to teach the new believers (vv.25-26).
      But along with the hard work, they took time to seek the Lord through
      prayer and fasting (13:2-3). Through this, God revealed His plan for
      taking the gospel into Asia.
      Few people can take 2 years off to think and plan. But all of us can build
      time into our schedule to seek the Lord earnestly through prayer. As we
      open our hearts and minds to God, He will be faithful to reveal the
      steps of life and service that honor Him. —David McCasland
      There is a blessed calm at eventide
      That calls me from a world of toil and care;
      How restful, then, to seek some quiet nook
      Where I can spend a little time in prayer. —Bullock
      Prayer is as important as breathing.