Our Daily Bread- Help Yourself

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013
      READ: Psalm 146

      Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God. —Psalm 146:5

      Recently, I saw a television ad for a restaurant chain that made a dramatic
      claim. At those restaurants, the ad said you could “Help Yourself to
      Happiness.” Wouldn’t it be nice if a helping of potatoes or meat or
      pasta or dessert would be all that was needed to provide happiness?
      Unfortunately, no restaurant can fulfill that promise.
      Happiness is an elusive thing—as we can see in almost every area of life. Our
      pursuit of happiness may involve food or a host of other things, but, in the end, happiness continues to escape our grasp.
      Why? In large measure it’s because the things we tend to pursue do not touch the deepest needs of our hearts. Our pursuits may provide moments of
      enjoyment, distraction, or pleasure, but the cry of our hearts goes
      unheard—the cry for help and hope. That is why the psalmist points us to a better way when he says, “Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for
      his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God” (Ps. 146:5).
      Help yourself? Yes—if we are seeking the happiness found in the Lord. It is
      only when we entrust ourselves to God and His care that we can find the
      happiness we seek. Our hope and help are found only in trusting Him.
      —Bill Crowder
      Father, draw me to Yourself. Remind me that only
      in You will I know the real joy and satisfaction that
      my heart longs for. Help me to look beyond the
      surface things of life to what really matters.
      The one who puts God first will have happiness that lasts.