Re: Perpetual virginity of St.Mary.

  • dhinuus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2013
      Dear Georgey,

      When we as Syriac Orthodox Christians say "Word of God" we are not referring to a Book. For us the "Word" or "Logos" of God is not a Book it is a "Man". It is the "Word" that became "Man". It is what the Gospel of John teaches us and it is what we sing at the very beginning of the public celebration of the Holy Qurbana "..Swarga Pithavin Eka Sutha, VACHANAMATHAM Rajadheesha.."

      So for us the Holy Word or "Thiru VACHANAM" is not a book, it is a "Man". The Man who was and is God and Man at the same time; Moran Yeshu Mishiha.

      There are some denominations that say that they are "Bible based Church". Our Church started much before the "Bible" was codified. Actually it was the 'fathers' of the "Church" that codified the Bible.

      We have Holy Tradition; we have the "Written Tradition" in a Book (the Greek word for Book is Biblos, from which comes the English word Bible) and we have "Traditions" passed on to us through the liturgy and hymns of the Church.

      The notion that if it is "not in the Bible" it is not true is a very modern concept. Actually the "Holy Bible" teach us the opposite. Let us read John 21:25

      "And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen."

      Now coming to the question if St. Mary the Mother of God had other Children, lets read John 19:25-27

      "Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, "Woman, behold your son!" Then He said to the disciple, "Behold your mother!" And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home."

      So if St.Mary had other Children why would one of her sons; ie Jesus Christ entrust her to the care of a disciple John the son of Zebedee? The only reason Jesus Christ our Lord entrusted the care of His mother at the hour of His death to his disciple was because His mother had no other children to take care of her.

      I agree with everything else that you said; especially your words "let our focus be that eternal life through Jesus Christ"

      Mathew G M