Our Daily Bread- A Winning Strategy

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2012
      READ: Joshua 7:1-13

      Israel has sinned, and they have also transgressed My covenant. —Joshua 7:11

      During my days as a high school basketball coach, I made a huge mistake. I
      sent some of my players to scout an opponent. They returned with this
      report: We can take those guys easily. Overconfident, we lost to that
      team. Does that sound familiar? To me, it sounds like the situation at
      Ai when Joshua sent out his scouts, who misjudged their opponent’s
      strength.
      But there was more to the defeat at Ai than bad scouting. Israel lost the
      battle and 36 soldiers for several reasons that I think we can learn
      from.
      Shortly before the loss at Ai, Joshua led his army successfully against Jericho because he knew God’s plan of attack. But there is no mention of Joshua consulting God before Ai. Prior to the battle of Jericho, the men had
      consecrated themselves to God (Josh. 5:2-8). Before Ai—nothing is said
      about Joshua’s men preparing themselves spiritually. The reason the
      Bible gives for the Israelites’ loss is sin in the camp. Achan had
      stolen from the spoils of Jericho (7:1). They could not defeat Ai until
      the sin was confessed and the people had consecrated themselves
      (7:16-26). Then God gave them a plan for victory (8:1-7).
      A winning strategy for our daily battles: confessing our sin and living in the power that God provides. —Dave Branon
      Dear Lord, before I go off into the battle today,
      forgive me of my sin and lead me in the path You
      want me to go. I want to serve You. Empower me
      to live for You and Your will. Amen.Purity in the heart produces power in the life