Beyond Prayer One Can Enter a Stage of Seeing Heaven Now

  • Reji
    Message 1 of 1502 , May 24, 2003
      Beyond Prayer One Can Enter a Stage of Seeing Heaven Now

      Saint Isaac, from: "The Ascetical Homilies of Saint Isaac the
      Syrian," Translated by the Holy Transfiguration Monastery, Boston, MA

      Question: And when is a man accounted worthy of the whole of this
      grace during the time of his prayer?

      Answer: This comes to pass, he says, when the intellect puts off the
      old man and puts on the new man of grace, and then it sees its purity
      to be like unto heaven's hue, which was also called the 'place of
      God' by the council of the elders of the sons of Israel, when it was
      seen by them in the mountain. Therefore, as I have said, one must
      not call this gift and grace spiritual prayer, but the offspring of
      pure prayer which is engulfed by the Holy Spirit.

      At that moment the intellect is yonder, above prayer, and by the
      discovery of something better, prayer is abandoned. Then the
      intellect does not pray with prayer, but it gazes in ecstasy at
      incomprehensible things which surpass this mortal world, and it is
      silenced by its ignorance of all that is found there. This is the
      unknowing which has been called more sublime than knowledge. This is
      the unknowing concerning which it has been said, 'Blessed is the man
      who has attained the unknowing that is inseparable from prayer,' of
      which may we be deemed worthy by the grace of God, to Whom be all
      glory, honour, and worship, now, and always, and unto the ages of
      ages. Amen.
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 1502 of 1502 , Oct 1, 2004
        Dear members