Our Daily Bread- Moment of Grace

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2012
      READ: Luke 2:13-20

      Then the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things
      that they had heard and seen, as it was told them. —Luke 2:20

      Every year, I enjoy listening to the BBC’s worldwide live radio broadcast of
      the Christmas Eve service from King’s College Chapel in Cambridge,
      England. This Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols combines Scripture
      readings, prayers, and choral music in a moving service of worship. One
      year, I was struck by the announcer’s description of the congregation
      leaving the magnificent chapel, saying they were “stepping out of this
      moment of grace and back into the real world.”
      Wasn’t it that way on the first Christmas? The shepherds heard an angel
      announce the birth of the Savior, Christ the Lord (Luke 2:11), followed
      by a “multitude of the heavenly host praising God” (vv.13-14). After
      they found Mary, Joseph, and the Baby in Bethlehem, the shepherds
      couldn’t help telling others about this Child (v.17). “The shepherds
      went back to work, glorifying and praising God for everything that they
      had heard and seen, which had happened just as they had been told” (v.20 Phillips).
      They had been changed by their “moment of grace.” As they stepped back into
      their real world, they carried the good news about Jesus in their hearts and voices.
      May we too take God’s grace into the real world this Christmas and every day of the new year. —David McCasland
      May the grace that we encounter
      At this time of Christmas cheer
      Not be true just in this season
      But remain throughout the year. —Sper
      Take the joy of Christmas with you every day.