Perpetual virginity of St.Mary.

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2012
      I have a humble submission to make on the captioned subject.

      The perpetual virginity of St Mary is evident from her very words quoted in Lk.1:34 which
      I extract below:-

      How shall this be seeing. I know not a man    ( KJV )
      How can this be since  do not know a man      (NKJV)
      I am a virgin  How then can this be.                (Good News Bible)

      When our near and dear one is in the labour room we will be waiting at the doors  of the labour room At the end we will hear the loud cries of the baby and we will congratulate each other and wait impatiently to see the new child. Then , the nurse attending the case will clean the body of the new born and bring the  new born to be seen by us of course wrapped in clean cloths. If it is a girl child, assume that one among us is
      sooth-sayer (assumption only for puposes of the story - we do not/should not approach/ believe the sooth-sayers in real life) and he predicts that she, the new born will have three  children of whom the eldest will become the premier of India, our country, we will accept the prediction.(This acceptance of the prediction is for the sake of the story)   In the case of St.Mary, the  Gabriel the Angel of the Lord  announced to her that the child born to her will be Son of God, St Mary could have accepted the annunciation if she were to lead a married life. But she could not accept the words of the angel as she was under  the vow of life-long  celebacy. When the angel explained to her that she will conceive NOT BY Joseph Kheeno [who is to be her protector in her celebacy]  BUT BY the Holy Rooho not causing any harm to her celibate status. Then and then only St.Mary accepted the Providential proposal and declared (vide Lk:1:38):"Behold the
      handmaid of the Lord"(KJV)  Behold the maid servant of the Lord (NKJV) I am the Lord's servant (Good News Bible)

      V T John
      ID 3085
    • Georgey Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
        Dear Mr. John,

        This is a very controversial subject and has been for a long time. One of the major arguments between Jacobites and with others.

        Jacobites, Protestants or Catholics all, without fail respect and honor Mother Mary.

        The issue is, whether she had other children or not.

        From my limited understanding, Bible says Jesus had brothers, whether it is from Mother Mary or from another wife Joseph had, or cousins�it is not clear. Let it be as it is.

        Jesus brothers are mentioned in several Bible verses. Matthew 12:46, Luke 8:19, and Mark 3:31 say that Jesus mother and brothers came to see Him. The Bible tells us that Jesus had four brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). The Bible also tells us that Jesus had sisters, but they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:56). In John 7:1-10, His brothers go on to the festival while Jesus stays behind. In Acts 1:14, His brothers and mother are described as praying with the disciples. Later, in Galatians 1:19, it mentions that James was Jesus brother.

        We all respect Mother Mary, and we adore her for being the Mother of God. Let us continue to revernce her for who she is.

        There are many things in the Bible, for which many including the scholars does not have a clear answer.

        As we understand and know, let us try to take the essense of Bible in our heart through faith and let us not analyze it with our human understanding. The essence that, only through Jesus Christ we can have eternal life.

        In Gospel of John 4:10, when Jesus was talking to the Samaritan woman, Jesus said If you knew the GIFT OF GOD and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.

        Bible says in Romans 6:23, second part of that verse syas "The GIFT OF GOD is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord".

        So let our focus be that eternal life through Jesus Christ and nothing else. As Paul says in 1 Corinthians 2:2 "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified".

        Wish you and all our Members a Blessed and Prosperous New Year.
        Let Every Prayers Be Answered This Year.
        Pray For Good Health and Peace to All.

        God Bless You.
        Georgey
        3084
      • dhinuus
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2013
          Dear Georgey,

          When we as Syriac Orthodox Christians say "Word of God" we are not referring to a Book. For us the "Word" or "Logos" of God is not a Book it is a "Man". It is the "Word" that became "Man". It is what the Gospel of John teaches us and it is what we sing at the very beginning of the public celebration of the Holy Qurbana "..Swarga Pithavin Eka Sutha, VACHANAMATHAM Rajadheesha.."

          So for us the Holy Word or "Thiru VACHANAM" is not a book, it is a "Man". The Man who was and is God and Man at the same time; Moran Yeshu Mishiha.

          There are some denominations that say that they are "Bible based Church". Our Church started much before the "Bible" was codified. Actually it was the 'fathers' of the "Church" that codified the Bible.

          We have Holy Tradition; we have the "Written Tradition" in a Book (the Greek word for Book is Biblos, from which comes the English word Bible) and we have "Traditions" passed on to us through the liturgy and hymns of the Church.

          The notion that if it is "not in the Bible" it is not true is a very modern concept. Actually the "Holy Bible" teach us the opposite. Let us read John 21:25

          "And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen."

          Now coming to the question if St. Mary the Mother of God had other Children, lets read John 19:25-27

          "Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, "Woman, behold your son!" Then He said to the disciple, "Behold your mother!" And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home."

          So if St.Mary had other Children why would one of her sons; ie Jesus Christ entrust her to the care of a disciple John the son of Zebedee? The only reason Jesus Christ our Lord entrusted the care of His mother at the hour of His death to his disciple was because His mother had no other children to take care of her.

          I agree with everything else that you said; especially your words "let our focus be that eternal life through Jesus Christ"

          Mathew G M
          0929