Our Daily Bread- Sweet Words

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2012
      READ: Proverbs 16:19-24

      Put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering. —Colossians 3:12

      Scott had always admired the relationship between Ken and Phyllis, his wife’s parents. So he asked them one day what made their marriage work. Ken
      replied, “You need to keep it sweet!”
      A friend of mine concludes many of her notes to me and my husband and
      other friends with these words: “Remember to be good to each other.”
      That’s great advice from both of them about being kind. The daily stresses of
      life can easily cause us to get irritable with our spouses or with
      others. We pick at the little annoyances or criticize minor habits. We
      blurt out harmful, unkind words without thinking.
      The book of Proverbs gives us counsel about the words we use with others.
      It says, “Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from
      troubles” (21:23). And there are these warnings: “Death and life are in
      the power of the tongue” (18:21); and “Reckless words pierce like a
      sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing” (12:18 niv). Ken’s advice about “keeping it sweet” reminds me of Proverbs 16:24,
      “Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health
      to the bones.”
      Lord, fill our hearts with words that will be a blessing to others today. —Anne Cetas
      Instead of hurling angry words
      That wound and stir up strife,
      Use words of kindness, filled with love,
      That heal and nourish life. —Sper
      Kind hearts are the gardens; kind thoughts are the roots; kind words are the flowers; kind deeds are the fruits.