Our Daily Bread- Be Specific

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2012
      READ: Mark 10:46-52

      What do you want Me to do for you? —Mark 10:51

      On the day before a major surgery, I shared with my friend that I was
      really scared about the procedure. “What part scares you?” she inquired. “I’m just so afraid that I won’t wake up from the anesthesia,” I
      replied. Immediately, Anne prayed: “Father, you know all about Cindy’s
      fear. Please calm her heart and fill her with Your peace. And, Lord,
      please wake her up after surgery.”
      I think God likes that kind of specificity when we talk to Him. When
      Bartimaeus, the blind beggar, called out to Jesus for help, Jesus said,
      “What do you want Me to do for you?” And the blind man said, “Rabboni,
      that I may receive my sight!” Jesus said, “Go your way; your faith has
      made you well” (Mark 10:51-52).
      We don’t need to beat around the bush with God. While there may be a time
      to pray poetically as David did, there are also times to say bluntly,
      “God, I’m so sorry for what I just said,” or to say simply, “Jesus, I
      love You because . . . .” Being specific with God can even be a sign of
      faith because we are acknowledging that we know we’re not talking to a
      far-off Being but to a real Person who loves us intimately.
      God is not impressed by a flurry of fanciful words. He is listening for what our heart is saying. —Cindy Hess Kasper
      Poetic prose in prayer to God
      Is not what He requires;
      Instead, specific heartfelt pleas
      Are what the Lord desires. —Sper
      The heart of prayer is prayer from the heart.