Our Daily Bread- Opened Ears

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2012
      READ: Psalm 40:1-10

      Sacrifice and offering You did not desire; my ears You have opened. Burnt
      offering and sin offering You did not require. —Psalm 40:6

      Recently I was having trouble with my ears and decided to try a somewhat
      controversial treatment. It was supposed to melt the wax in my ears and
      clear out any impediments that might get in the way of the ability to
      hear. I have to admit that it sounded like a strange experience. But I
      was desperate to be able to hear clearly, so I was willing to give it a
      try.
      As important as good hearing is in life, it is even more important in our
      walk with God. In Psalm 40:6, David declared, “Sacrifice and offering
      You did not desire; my ears You have opened. Burnt offering and sin
      offering You did not require.” The word opened in this verse
      can be translated “cleared out,” and it speaks of what God desires for
      us. He wants our ears to be open and ready to hear Him as He speaks to
      us through His Word. Sometimes, however, our spiritual ears may be
      blocked by the background noise of the surrounding culture or the siren
      songs of temptation and sin.
      May we instead turn our hearts to the Lord in full devotion, keeping our
      ears open to Him so that we will be sensitive to His voice. As He
      speaks, He will put His Word in our hearts, and we will learn from Him
      to delight in His will (v.8). —Bill Crowder
      Open my ears, that I may hear
      Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
      And while the wave-notes fall on my ear,
      Everything false will disappear. —Scott
      God speaks through His Word to those who listen with their heart.