Our Daily Bread- Plowshare Christmas

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2012
      READ: Isaiah 2:1-4

      They shall beat their swords into plowshares . . . ; neither shall they learn war anymore. —Isaiah 2:4

      In his book Christmas 1945, Matthew Litt tells about the first peacetime Christmas celebration in the US after World War II. The New York Daily News alerted readers to expect a fleet of warships in New York Harbor:
      “Christmas Day will find a mighty armada, consisting of 4 battleships, 6 carriers, 7 cruisers, and 24 destroyers.” But instead of waging war,
      the military ships hosted 1,000 needy children.
      The children’s measurements had been taken previously so that perfectly
      fitted navy-blue coats and woolen caps would be gift-wrapped and
      awaiting them aboard the ships. These vessels of war had been
      transformed into carriers of compassion.
      The prophet Isaiah predicted a future day of Christ’s reign of peace on
      this earth: “They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their
      spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against
      nation, neither shall they learn war anymore” (2:4). Christmastime
      serves as a reminder that the Prince of Peace will ultimately bring a
      time of global calm and compassion.
      As we celebrate the first coming of the Prince of Peace and wait for His
      second coming, we are reminded of our privilege to serve as His
      “carriers of compassion.” —Dennis Fisher
      Lord, You have come and brought peace, and I long to
      share Your compassion everywhere I go.
      Thank You that this world will know ultimate peace
      when You return. Amen.
      True peace comes from the Prince of Peace.