“Nallorma” or “good remembrance”

  • dhinuus
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2012
      If you are like me, you also probably have wondered what is meant by "Nallorma" or "good remembrance". In the hymns that we sing before the Holy Qurbana we sing:

      Karthave! nin raktha sareerangal - kaikkondu.
      Bhaktharathaayi marichorkarulaname-nallorma.

      Translated to English this means:

      Lord! Grant good remembrance to all the faithful departed,
      Who took Thy holy body and Thy holy blood.

      I have always wondered why we are praying that Lord grant "good rememberance" (nallorma) to the departed.

      We can best approach the meaning of this song through following the connection to the crucifixion of Christ. "What did the wise thief on the right side ask for on the cross?" As we read in St. Luke's Gospel, the thief asked: "Lord, remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom"

      And in answer, in satisfaction of his wish, his wish to be remembered, the Lord witnesses: "Verily, I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in Paradise."

      In other words, "to be remembered" by the Lord is the same thing as "to be in Paradise." "To be in Paradise" is to be in eternal memory and, consequently, to have eternal existence and therefore an eternal memory of God.

      Without remembrance of God we die, but our remembrance of God is possible only through God's remembrance of us.

      I stumbled upon this answer while reading a snippet from a late Russian Orthodox priest Fr Pavel Florensky, and wanted to share it.

      Mathew G M