The Chain of Forgetfulness That Exists in Time

  • Reji
    Message 1 of 1502 , May 24, 2003
      The Chain of Forgetfulness That Exists in Time

      When your intellect in its great longing for God gradually withdraws
      from the flesh and turns away from all thoughts that have their
      source in your sense-perception, memory or soul-body temperament, and
      when it becomes full of reverence and joy, then you may conclude that
      you are close to the frontiers of prayer.

      You cannot attain pure prayer while entangled in material things and
      agitated by constant cares. For prayer means the shedding of
      thoughts.

      -- Evagrios the Solitary, On Pure Prayer

      Disciple: Sir, how may I come to the Supersensual Life, so that I may
      see God, and hear God speak?

      Master: Son, when thou canst throw thyself into That, where no
      Creature dwelleth, though it be but for a Moment, then thou hearest
      what God speaketh.

      Disciple: Is that where no Creature dwelleth near at hand; or is it
      afar off?

      Master: It is in thee. And if thou canst, my Son, for a while but
      cease from all thy thinking and willing, then thou shalt hear the
      unspeakable Words of God.

      Disciple How can I hear Him speak, when I stand still from thinking
      and willing?

      Master: When thou standest still from the thinking of self, and the
      willing of self; "When both thy intellect and will are quiet, and
      passive to the Impressions of the Eternal Word and Spirit; and when
      thy Soul is winged up, and above that which is temporal, the outward
      Senses, and the Imagination being locked up by holy Abstraction,"
      then the Eternal Hearing, Seeing, and Speaking will be revealed in
      thee; and so God heareth "and seeth through thee," being now the
      Organ of His Spirit; and so God speaketh in thee, and whispereth to
      thy Spirit, and thy Spirit heareth His Voice. Blessed art thou
      therefore if that thou canst stand still from Self-thinking and Self-
      willing, and canst stop the Wheel of thy Imagination and Senses
      forasmuch as hereby thou mayest arrive at length to see the great
      Salvation of God being made capable of all Manner of Divine
      Sensations and Heavenly Communications. Since it is nought indeed but
      thine own Hearing and Willing that do hinder thee, so that thou dost
      not see and hear God.

      Disciple: But wherewith shall I hear and see God, forasmuch as He is
      above Nature and Creature?

      Master: Son, when thou art quiet and silent, then art thou as God was
      before Nature and Creature; thou art that which God then was; thou
      art that whereof He made thy Nature and Creature: then thou hearest
      and seest even with that wherewith God Himself saw and heard in thee,
      before ever thine own Willing or thine own Seeing began.

      --Jacob Boehme, THE SUPERSENSUAL LIFE

      It is said that the highest state of prayer is reached when the
      intellect goes beyond the flesh and the world, and while praying is
      utterly free from matter and form. He who maintains this state has
      truly attained unceasing prayer.

      -- Saint Maximos the Confessor

      I was set loose from a world.....
      and from the chain of forgetfulness