Isaac the Syrian

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 19, 2012
      It is not always in our power to oppose the thoughts fighting against us so as
      to stop them, but we often receive wounds that do not heal for quite some
      time... [Arguing with the demons] allows them to arm themselves against you;
      they will be able to wound you beyond what your wisdom and feeling will set
      against them. But even if you were to vanquish them, the filth of the thoughts
      would sully your contemplation, and you would still smell their foul odor for
      quite some time.

      Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, as cited in Therapy of Spiritual Illnesses
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/15923112/therapy-of-spiritual-illnesses-3-volume-box?keywords=therapy