Our Daily Bread- Emotional Betrayals

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2012
      READ: Matthew 26:36-46

      [Jesus] found them sleeping, and said . . . , “Could you not watch with Me one hour?” —Matthew 26:40

      Some years back, another man and I were reading together Matthew 26 about
      Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. “I know this much,” he told me as we
      read along, “if I’d been with Jesus in Gethsemane, I’d have had His
      back. No way would I have fallen asleep!” Indignant, he continued, “How
      could anyone fall asleep after hearing Jesus tell them how troubled He
      was? He was practically begging!” (v.38).
      Knowing that our families struggled with our long work hours, I wondered out
      loud to my friend: “How many times have our children looked for us in
      the crowd at their school activities, hoping to see us? Do our kids face troubles alone because we are away or busy? Our families and friends
      have an intense need for personal attention from us. Even Jesus asked
      His disciples to watch and pray with Him” (see vv.40-45).
      It is not a simple thing to balance life’s demands against the needs of
      those we love and serve, but failing to do so is emotional betrayal. As
      we think about the disciples disappointing Jesus in the Garden, we might want to consider the ways we can today show our care for our loved ones and their interests. Help us, Lord, to love others well. —Randy Kilgore
      Open my eyes, Lord, to people around me,
      Help me to see them as You do above;
      Give me the wisdom and strength to take action,
      So others may see the depth of Your love. —K. DeHaan
      One measure of our love for Christ is our sensitivity to the needs of others.