Re: Still following the prayers from MOC Publications - Shame on us

  • dhinuus
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2012
      Dear V T John,

      I have a copy of the "Hasha Week - prayers" published by JSC Publications, Patriarchal Center, Puthencuriz. The hymns are exactly the same as those published by MOC Publication. They are not based on the translation of Late Perumpally Thirumeni. This book even has a Kalpana of H.H Ignatius Zakka I and from H.B Baselius Thomas I.

      So this means the translation made by Late Baselious Mathews I Bava and Late C P Chandy has been accepted as official by H.H Zakka I.

      If you really think about it; as long as the theology of the hymn is consistent with the Oriental Orthodox teachings of our Syriac Orthodox Church, it does not matter who translated the hymn. A lot of the old liturgical hymns were translated by Kottarathil Sankunni.

      Mathew G M
      0929
    • Cherian Jacob
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 2012
        I am wondering does this really matter we use MOC version or another version? Together the experience we are creating is to use all curse words against Jewish people during Good Friday service. Using church to abuse another religion. Being the followers of Jesus we should start creating the experience of healing and compassion. Jesus was able to forgive everyone including us who hate our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. We better start seeing what kind of legacy we are creating for our generations? Start seeing everyone as image of our lord. Then you will be able to reconcile and create extraordinary experience of passion week.

        Thanks
        CHERIAN Jacob
        0951
      • Paul Joshy
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2012
          I think there is no problem for using the Hasha week print edition by IOC publication because it is a translated form of the Syriac (however, I dont know Whether IOC had watered in the original text) version as the Qurbanakramam used by both the factions which originally translated by Konattu Malapan under the Klapana from HH Abdulla Patriarch. And if HH Zakha I Patriarch has endorsed the Hasha book published by our Chruch then it must have been validated by the HH because we cannot deviate from the Antiochian liturgy for all services.

          --
          Joshy Paul
          New Delhi
        • dhinuus
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 17, 2012
            Dear Cherian,

            Our Good Friday service is not uttering curse words against the Jewish people. How could we; we are the Jewish people; we are the New Israel.

            As St.John the Baptist says in the Gospel : "I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham."

            We are the children of Abraham raised from the stones.

            All that we sing in the Good Friday hymns are to show us; how futile it is to follow the rituals; if we are rejecting God. That is what the Pharasees and Saduccees did.. they were very good at following the rituals; but they rejected God (ie Jesus Christ).

            Read Gospel of Matthew Chapter 23. None of the hymns in Good Friday service use any kind of language more stronger than the words of Jesus in Chapter 23. The unfortunate truth is that if we replace the words "Rabbi" and "Pharasee" to "Thirumeni" and "Bava" in Matthew 23, they are very true even today.

            There is nothing wrong with the liturgy that is handed down to us by the Fathers. The question is how we are practicing Christianity today ?

            Mathew G M