Our Daily Bread- Open- Handed Help

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2012
      READ: Deuteronomy 15:7-11

      You shall open your hand wide to [the poor]. —Deuteronomy 15:8

      A homeless man spends time in our local library. One afternoon, while I
      was writing there, I took a lunch break. After I finished the first half of a turkey and Swiss cheese sandwich, an image of the man’s face came
      to mind. A few minutes later, I offered him the untouched part of my
      lunch. He accepted.
      This brief encounter made me realize that with all that God has given me, I
      needed to do more to help those who are less fortunate. Later, as I
      thought about this, I read Moses’ instructions on providing for the
      poor. He told the Israelites: Do not “shut your hand from your poor
      brother, but . . . open your hand wide to him” (Deut. 15:7-8). An open
      hand symbolizes the way God wanted His nation to provide for
      impoverished people—willingly and freely. No excuses, no holding back
      (v.9). God had given to them, and He wanted them to give generously
      enough to supply whatever was “sufficient” for the need (v.8).
      When we offer open-handed help to the poor, God blesses us for our kindness
      (Ps. 41:1-3; Prov. 19:17). With His leading, consider how you might
      “extend your soul to the hungry” (Isa. 58:10) and freely give to help
      others in Jesus’ name. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
      Grant us, then, the grace for giving
      With a spirit large and free,
      That our life and all our living
      We may consecrate to Thee. —Murray
      You may give without loving, but you can’t love without giving.